New Member/old Man

JimmyDoLittle

Aug 18, 2016
Hey Y'all, I from Ga. I'm 71 YO and bought my first mustang today..waited a long time huh?..1967 coupe..need some thangs for the stang..First thing is brakes and I want to go with Disc. I see they offer different size Rotors
like 11"/ 11.25/ 11.30/ 12+. etc,etc..What should I use?(looking at Wilwood)
My new wheels will be 15" or 17" Thanks for any help
PS: I thought this forum would have a Tech Section but didn't see it.. If so could a Mod please move it..thanks

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome JimmyDoLittle. It really comes down to your wallet size and what you plan on doing with your new ride. I personally pieced mine together with stock sized rotors in the front and Lincoln rotors in the back with caddy calipers that have the parking brake built in. Those kits are nice and probly the best way to go.
As far as size I would go with the biggest rotor (slotted and cross drilled) you can stuff in there because that will get you the best stopping power. Add a power booster setup and you'll have a nice setup.
Any of those aftermarket setups will get you good stopping power so you could go with a stock style setup too with good results.
As far as wheels go, if you go with the larger rotors and plan on wider wheels than stock size then you'll probly want to go with a 17" wheel to avoid any clearance issues with the calipers and upper control arm.
There are many more posts on here about this subject so you might search them too.
Good Luck and please post pictures.

Welcome JimmyDoLittle. It really comes down to your wallet size and what you plan on doing with your new ride. I personally pieced mine together with stock sized rotors in the front and Lincoln rotors in the back with caddy calipers that have the parking brake built in. Those kits are nice and probly the best way to go.
As far as size I would go with the biggest rotor (slotted and cross drilled) you can stuff in there because that will get you the best stopping power. Add a power booster setup and you'll have a nice setup.
Any of those aftermarket setups will get you good stopping power so you could go with a stock style setup too with good results.
As far as wheels go, if you go with the larger rotors and plan on wider wheels than stock size then you'll probly want to go with a 17" wheel to avoid any clearance issues with the calipers and upper control arm.
There are many more posts on here about this subject so you might search them too.
Good Luck and please post pictures.
..Thanks for the reply tos..I will take your advise..I'm anxious about getting it on the road!

I noticed u didn't post in technical, but to offer you some advice, I have wilwoods on my 70 5lug v8, they work awesome, and I run manual. No clearance issues, bit of a pain to get it on though. Love the brakes and they clear 15" wheels and up. If you plan on keeping your stockers. I hear ssbc has a similar kit, and I can't remember why I didn't get those instead, but I remember there being a reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You did read why I wasn't in TECH.section right? :) I'm learning...anyway the info I'm needing is the diameter of the rotor. This is my first ever Mustang..They offer several sizes and I don't know what size to order..Or does it matter as long as the wheels I buy will go on? thanks..(hope my next questions will be in the correct section ;-)

Oh sorry, misunderstanding I don't mind it was in here, haha. I have an 11 inch rotor, I kept my 15inch wheel size. If you want to keep a 15inch wheel both ssbc or wilwood, I recommend the wilwood, because I don't have any experience with the ssbc, do you have an idea of what size wheels you want to run?

Helps if you know if your going to use it for drag, cruising, or just a restore, or even an autocross car.

15inch is normal for everything but the autocross, most use a 17" or up wheel in that case. Performance tires are a better selection at that size, I think is a large part of that.

And PS sorry about the late reply bud.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk