New Member

20260820_140041.webp
 
Hey Warhorse racing. I am the guy that been writing on your comment on the YouTube video and joined stangnet per your recommendation. Can you share your budget autocross set up?

Also my current mustang is on h and r super sports. As nice as it looks. It doesn't make it down my driveway even using all the different drive techniques. I have a 14 degree driveway. My hopes are building a car that make it possible to get down the driveway, drive my kiddos to ice cream and attend as many autocross events I can. If anyone has a steep driveway what non stock suspension setup do you run?
 
I added some context for clarity...

I started autocrossing my 2000 GT in 2013. I was pretty familiar with Fox Body and SN95 Mustang suspension mods by that point. I expected to have to make my SN95 more capable in order to be competitive. I didn’t expect to get told repeatedly that I needed to spend a fortune on suspension upgrades if I ever wanted to be competitive at local events. “You have to throw the whole (insert brand name here) catalog on the car.” That advice came mostly from people who have never autocrossed their SN95 Mustangs. Because I was on a budget, I had to figure out how to make my SRA Mustang handle better without breaking the bank.

That meant no coil-overs, no aftermarket K-member, and no “next-level” rear suspension upgrades like a Panhard bar or Watt’s link and Torque Arm.

Through trial and error, I came up with a “Budget Autocross Recipe” for my 2000 GT and my 1992 GT. Those mods became the basis for the “Budget Autocross” series on my YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@warhorseracing/videos

Over the years, several of the mods I used on those cars & in those videos have been discontinued. And some have gotten really expensive. I’ve also found some new and better options. In order to help people setting up their SRA SN95 Mustangs for autocross on a budget, I take some time every year to review and (if necessary) revise my recipe. This post shares the 2026 update.

More often than not, the people I help have been told they should purchase the Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip Box. It costs $6,700. MM makes great parts. I know lots of fast people who use MM suspension parts on their autocross cars. They are quality parts that perform very well. If you have $6,700 to spend on suspension, and you agree with MM’s POV about the Panhard bar/Torque Arm setup, you won’t be disappointed by their products. I’m using the MM Maximum Grip box as a reference because it is the most identifiable kit on the market, but it’s not hard to spend the same amount of money on parts from other Mustang suspension manufacturers.

In my experience, you can make an SN95 Mustang handle much better than stock for much less money. It’s also worth mentioning that you can absolutely autocross a bone-stock or slightly modified SN95 and still have fun & improve your driving skills.

I created this recipe to get the best bang-for-the-buck suspension setup that offers balanced handling & adjustability. This is not about finding the least expensive mods possible; they often don’t hold up well or perform well under autocross conditions. Building on a budget means making the right choices and compromises to end up with a car that performs better than most people would expect. I have personally used many of these parts in the past. Some parts I haven’t used (yet). I’ll explain why I chose those specific parts in the recipe.

*Autocross classes are based on mods. Most people with modified SN95 Mustangs run in CAM-T, which is an SCCA Category that allows for lots of upgrades. If you’re running in CAM-T, make an accurate assessment of your competition before planning your mods. Depending on the type of autocross events you attend (local, regional, Nationals), you will find a wide range of CAM-T cars (some are six-figure builds). You might need to make more mods to be competitive in CAM-T at your local events.

I recently updated the prices, but they can vary. For a few parts, I’m including more expensive options; some of which I’ve used, others have a proven reputation for performance.


SN95 BUDGET AUTOCROSS RECIPE (2026)​

SHOCKS & STRUTS: Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to control the ride quality & adjust for understeer/oversteer to compensate for the other mods you make (which is really important for an autocross car). Like the Tokico Illumina shocks & struts I’ve used in the past, KYB AGX shocks & struts adjust compression & rebound with one adjustment. I haven’t personally used the KYB AGX shocks & struts, but I recommended them to a friend and I was impressed enough by their initial quality and performance to buy a set for a future autocross project. The one compromise is that there are not a lot of autocross-tested reviews of their performance. The KYB AGX adjustable shock & strut kit costs $600.

*The Steeda Pro-Action kit is relatively new, but Steeda parts usually perform well. $630 (on sale now).

*Koni Yellow single-adjustable shocks & struts are very popular. I know several fast people who are very pleased with their performance. They cost $1,000.

I like to keep the quad shocks on my cars. I know this isn’t the popular choice. But, I’ve instructed in and driven 79-04 Mustangs with and without quad shocks at several autocross events, and I prefer to have them in place. A cheap set is fine, as long as they work. They cost $70.

BUSHINGS: Upgraded bushings are the “secret sauce” to making these cars handle better on a budget.

I’ve used Global West Del-A-Lum A-arm bushings on my 1992 GT and I’ve been thrilled with the performance. They press into the OEM A-arms & they move the A-arms forward. They provide more caster which helps with corner entry and straight-line stability. They cost $183. They do need to be pressed in, so there is a small additional cost (if you don’t have a press).

For rear control arms, choosing arms that come with 3-piece poly bushings will be a huge improvement. The common advice online is that using poly bushings in the UCAs is a bad idea, but that has not been my experience. I did over 600 autocross runs with Steeda UCAs on my 2000 GT and they performed extremely well. I had no issues with quadra-bind, snap oversteer, or torque box damage. *You want to avoid putting poly bushings in OEM rear control arms, as well as inexpensive rear control arm kits with 2-piece poly bushings. The wrong bushings will make your Mustang handle worse on an autocross course.

J&M makes a less expensive Rear Control Arm Kit with 3-piece poly bushings that costs $316. I haven’t personally used J&M control arms. But, I’ve been happy with other J&M products in the past, so I purchased a kit for a future project.

*The Steeda Steel Rear Control Arm Kit is a step up. $519

*Steeda Aluminum UCAs & LCAs would be an even better option for arms with 3-piece poly bushings. $705

J&M spherical upper differential housing bushings. $99
I went from poly UDH bushings to spherical UDH bushings on my 1992 GT and they were a big improvement. *You will need a special tool to remove the OEM UDH bushing shells.

Prothane poly steering rack bushings. $15

Prothane poly strut mount bushings. $17


LOWERING SPRINGS: When it comes to lowering springs, lower isn’t always better. Going too low makes these cars handle worse. I don’t recommend lowering an SN95 Mustang more than 1.25”. For autocross, Ford Performance M-5300-C springs are my favorite option for SRA Mustangs. They are linear-rate F springs/progressive-rate R springs & they don’t lower the car very much. They cost $325.

Prothane poly spring isolators F & R. $55

C/C PLATES: A good autocross alignment makes a big difference out on course. Being able to adjust caster & camber will help you dial in the handling of your car.

J&M 3-bolt C/C plates. $180 *I’ve never personally used J&M C/C plates, but I’ve been happy with other J&M parts in the past, so I purchased a set for a future project.

*I’ve used Steeda 3-bolt C/C plates on 2 different SN95s for many years. They’ve worked well and held up well under autocross conditions. $250

SWAY BARS: Your best option (to start) is to install a stiffer rear sway bar. For V6 models, an OEM GT 23mm or 24mm rear sway bar will work. For GT models, an OEM or aftermarket 25mm rear sway bar will work. Adding oversteer with a stiffer rear sway bar helps get the car’s handling closer to neutral. There are several stiffer aftermarket rear sway bars available; they range in price from $200 to $270. The KYB AGX kit will probably work best with an OEM front sway bar. *Keep in mind, installing a stiffer front sway bar without other mods that allow you to compensate for the added understeer will make the car more likely to understeer at the limit.

Prothane poly sway bar bushings. $14

Prothane poly sway bar end link bushings for the OEM end links $15


CHASSIS BRACING: A stiffer chassis provides a stronger foundation for an autocross car. Every input you make goes through the chassis. I’ve used Stifflers’ subframe connectors (as part of their FIT System) and Stifflers’ lower chassis braces on two SN95 Mustangs. I’ve been impressed by the quality of their parts.

Stifflers subframe connectors. $190

Stifflers lower chassis brace. $120


I use a Steeda strut tower brace on my 2004 V6. Having seen and used other strut tower braces, I think Steeda has the best design. $210.

If you go with the least expensive options for shocks & struts, rear control arms & C/C plates, and factor in $235 for the average cost of a stiffer aftermarket rear sway bar that mounts in the OEM position, the total comes to: $2,644.

Those mods allow you to greatly improve the suspension as a whole, they address the “factory-installed” handling flaws these cars were born with, and they give you the option of being able to adjust for mods you make in the future.

With the correct caster & camber adjustments and shock & strut settings, a car with these upgrades will handle extremely well.

If you are looking to spend less, I can also recommend which parts I would prioritize. I hope this helps. If you have questions, please ask.