New Motor Installed... Car Loses All Power Above 1/2 Throttle...

JEREMIAH HERRIN

Mar 4, 2017
Let me start off by saying I'm a brand new member and currently own a '89 GT and a '93 LX coupe with a mark viii motor swap.

Sooo I just installed a 65k stock motor in my '89 GT and am having an issue. Took me a little while to get the timing and TPS set just right but the car is purring at idle now. When throttle goes above 1/2 or more it dies out like it has lost all spark and fuel, like I'm cutting the key off then back on after rpm drops. I checked codes and got code 22 which I know is BAP code but can that cause the car to act this way?? Never had any issues with the old motor doing this. Any advise on where to look would be much appreciated. Cleaned the MAF sensor and have a brand new dist. so thinking it's something else. I tried to such other threads about similar problems but most have bogging or something mine literally just dies then comes back.

• Sponsors (?)

O2 sensors would be next possible cause. I wouldn't change out sensors just yet as a huge vacuum leak could cause the codes and issues as well. Any recent engine work?