New mustang owner

65rustbucket

Nov 20, 2022
Georgia
Hi all, my son and I are the proud recipients of a family owned 65 coupe. It’s been restored approximately 30 years ago, though it was done half baked in my opinion.
It currently has an I6, auto tranny, and 7.5” rear. Plans are to scrap all that, or sell if someone wants/needs it for an OEM resto project.
I can’t contribute much knowledge pertaining to stangs yet but hope to learn lots and eventually be able to contribute later.

• Sponsors (?)

It’s not pretty by any means. It was running when parked some 15 yrs ago. My brother in law got out of college and went to drive it, fuel pump was bad, we think. We cranked it by pouring gas in carb, but once that was gone it would cut off. When I got car I never put a battery in it to try and fix as I knew we were doing a v8 swap.

I say we think because once I got car, we found this in trunk!! Photo too large to upload. I’ll have to figure that out. Long story short, the fuel tank was rusted through on the top!

I’ll put a battery in car and see if I can get her to crank and run for a video. May be a few days.

It’s not pretty by any means. It was running when parked some 15 yrs ago. My brother in law got out of college and went to drive it, fuel pump was bad, we think. We cranked it by pouring gas in carb, but once that was gone it would cut off. When I got car I never put a battery in it to try and fix as I knew we were doing a v8 swap.

I say we think because once I got car, we found this in trunk!! Photo too large to upload. I’ll have to figure that out. Long story short, the fuel tank was rusted through on the top!

I’ll put a battery in car and see if I can get her to crank and run for a video. May be a few days.
Hmmm. You got me thinking now. Mine won't start either. We had our house raised and the driveway is now inclined. When I drove into the carport after it was finished I drug the tailpipe, I thought. Maybe I damaged the tank.