New Owner of A 02 GT need help getting more power

Zekej18

Dec 6, 2019
Texas
I recently purchased a 02 GT and noticed that when I put it in 5th it wouldn’t accelerate right away and kind of lag a little before putting forward force. Wondering if it’s a normal thing and can be fixed by adding more power to the engine or a transmission problem I’ll have to fix.

• Sponsors (?)

These cars are geared pretty conservatively, so I doubt it's an issue; mine doesn't pull very hard in 5th either. Essentially, to increase acceleration, you either need to increase engine torque (which can go as far as your wallet will let you), or increase your rear gear ratio (which is usually the better "bang for the buck" mod here).

Most people recommend a 3.73 gear set for these cars (with manual transmissions), and having driven one, I can say the difference is quite impressive. I have yet to do the mod to mine, mostly because I spent more than intended on suspension a few months ago. It's definitely on the short list though.

These cars are geared pretty conservatively, so I doubt it's an issue; mine doesn't pull very hard in 5th either. Essentially, to increase acceleration, you either need to increase engine torque (which can go as far as your wallet will let you), or increase your rear gear ratio (which is usually the better "bang for the buck" mod here).

Most people recommend a 3.73 gear set for these cars (with manual transmissions), and having driven one, I can say the difference is quite impressive. I have yet to do the mod to mine, mostly because I spent more than intended on suspension a few months ago. It's definitely on the short list though.
Thank you i’ll have to look into that then

Reactions: 1 user
I gonna jump in here even though I am a fox guy.
You just bought the car, I don't know the miles or condition but normal wear things need to be looked at including putting a scanner on it. Depending on whether the previous scan deleted old codes it would be a window into what previous work was done or not done.
I will also add the fifth gear is an overdrive so using it at low rpms, especially at the bottom of the torque curve is going to make the car seem sluggish.
I do agree with a gear change. Best bang for the buck.

I've the stock 3.27 in my 2K and seldom use fifth unless at 55mph or above...if I am seriously gonna pass someone, I downshift. As previously noted, a gear change (probably 3.73) would likely net you the responsiveness you desire.

I've the stock 3.27 in my 2K and seldom use fifth unless at 55mph or above...if I am seriously gonna pass someone, I downshift. As previously noted, a gear change (probably 3.73) would likely net you the responsiveness you desire.
It was just weird to jump from an automatic and then into a manual and not have the same responsiveness on acceleration

The auto trans (4R70W) does have a slightly more aggressive overdrive gear. I wouldn't think it would be enough to make a huge difference, but maybe. The trans downshifting for you is likely a factor too.

Let's just say the car is fine, engine wise and all other things combined. The stock trans most likely has a 3.27 gear and it is pretty much useless for "seat of the pants" feel. I just purchased an '02 last year and spent a lot of time and $$ doing a bunch of things because I also open track the car. Now, living in the penal state of CA, our hands are tied to what can be done with emission related items, i.e. heads, cam, tuners, etc. so we are a bit limited on what can be done engine wise. I took the 3.27 gears out and put in 3.73 and it will pull much better now and the fuel mileage is not noticeably less. I like the feel and for track reasons, it works. You can read what I've done here: www.weendoggy.com/mustang/mustang.htm Biggest improvement on handling was doing suspension work.

I plan on swapping the suspensuo
Let's just say the car is fine, engine wise and all other things combined. The stock trans most likely has a 3.27 gear and it is pretty much useless for "seat of the pants" feel. I just purchased an '02 last year and spent a lot of time and $$ doing a bunch of things because I also open track the car. Now, living in the penal state of CA, our hands are tied to what can be done with emission related items, i.e. heads, cam, tuners, etc. so we are a bit limited on what can be done engine wise. I took the 3.27 gears out and put in 3.73 and it will pull much better now and the fuel mileage is not noticeably less. I like the feel and for track reasons, it works. You can read what I've done here: www.weendoggy.com/mustang/mustang.htm Biggest improvement on handling was doing suspension work.
I plan on swapping out the suspension as well to an ebich pro kit that i found that’ll do the job more than enough. I’m thinking the gear swap might be the other thing I’ll have to look into to help the car but in more work