new steering rack damaged clockspring?

My new steering rack allows me to turn the wheel more than the previous stock rack. Not a lot more, but definitely noticeable. Is it possible the extra turning accounted for my clockspring breaking? Checking to see if I should place some steering limiters so I don't break another clockspring.

Oh, also I havn't tested the clockspring but assume it broken because the airbag light is flashing code 6 and there is a scraping / grinding noise when i turn the steering wheel. The noise sounds like it's coming from right where the spring would be. Both the noise and the airbag light came happened shortly after the new rack was installed.

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Did you install the rack or take it somewhere?

I doubt the clocksprings are different (4cyl vs. V8). Most likely, during rack install, the wheel was rotated off center (full turn). Once you drove the car and turned the steering wheel to full lock, you over extended the clockspring.

Maybe someone will chime in concerning the clocksprings (4cyl vs. V8).

not sure how over extending even applys here. If you think about how the clock spring works, how does it know hao many turns you have lock to lock. The clock spring should spin in either direction when its off as many times as you want.. its just a set of contacts riding on a ring inside the unit.....

Yep, I took it to my shop. As mentioned though the light and noise didn't happen until about a week or so after.

Sounds like a little more wheel turn with this new rack should effect a new clockspring. Now hopefully the used one i buy doesn't crap out on me the next day.

not sure how over extending even applys here. If you think about how the clock spring works, how does it know hao many turns you have lock to lock. The clock spring should spin in either direction when its off as many times as you want.. its just a set of contacts riding on a ring inside the unit.....

I'll admit, I have not seen a fox clockspring. I work in the automotive industry and the clocksprings I deal with have a limited travel. If the steering system is off center when the clockspring is installed, turning the wheel lock to lock will break it. Very commom at my workplace.

Edit: Did a quick search. Looks like it is possible with the fox clockspring.

http://forums.stangnet.com/657998-did-i-break-my-clock-spring.html

67 Coupe - thanks for the link. So how does one check if the steering system is off center? The car drives fine now, no alignment issues.

If i installed a new clockspring is into it now, is it possible it would break again from having the steering system off center?

Thank you for the help!

Ok, I finally bought a clockspring from ebay. Is it supposed to have a "resistance" to it when you turn it? The one i recieved does not. infact it just turns and turns.

Also does the clockspring need to be centered before putting installing it? If so, how does one find the center?

thanks in advance.