New/Stock 1992 5.0 RWHP/RWTQ Stats

For a stock 1992 5.0 engine, FORD listed 225HP / 300Ft.lbs., with MANUAL transmission.

I'd like to know what the power loss is for this year. Specifically, I have an LX convertible, 5-Spd.

Best I could find, but not necessarily accurate, were 2 guys who reported the following numbers:

1) RWHP = 208 RWTQ=250 (power train loss: 17HP / 50 Ft.Lbs.)
2) RWHP = 190 RWTQ=269 (power train loss: 35HP / 31 Ft.Lbs.)

I have a Non-FMS crate engine coming in, which has been dynoed at the crank (BHP), and I'd simply like to "estimate" what the Power train overhead (tremec TKO600/31-spline T-Locker) will absorb. In short, I'd like to "estimate" what my RWHP/RWTQ might be.

Believe me... I've searched this Forum and I could not find RWHP/RWTQ for a completely stock 92 5.0/5-Spd. Everyone asks about post-modification numbers.

TIA

-D

• Sponsors (?)

Right around 200 to the wheels is really good for a healthy stock 5 litre. Most dyno in the 190's. That brings the stock driveline losses to right around 15%. The TKO600 because of its additional rotating mass and beefier construction is going to suck up additional power...probably 20%. So figure the stock rear wheel figures for you car to be around 180. good luck man

Thanks for the quick reply.

So the typical difference on the car in stock condition is around 15%. That's what I wanted to know.

So, if I go conservatively with a loss of 45HP (225 * 0.20), to factor in the larger tranny & 31-splines, I'll be near the ball park.

Thank again !

-D

I second the above. At our club dyno day earlier this year, a friend with a bone stock 90 Saleen put down 199 rwhp. Sorry, I didn't make any notes on torque.

I would love to have a fresh and stock 5.0L 225HP engine. Mine runs great with 140K, no oil drip or burn or smoke, but I would love to have a stock fresh one.

with no oil drip, burn, or smoke, consider it basically fresh. I bet if you pulled yours apart, you would not see any wear whatsoever. You would see some bearing wear and the rings might have some wear, but as long as you're getting full compression it doesn't matter. I took mine apart at 150k and there was zero ridge on the cylinder walls and you could still see the factory crosshatch. The valvesprings will weaken over time too, so you could change those maybe for a couple extra ponies.

with no oil drip, burn, or smoke, consider it basically fresh. I bet if you pulled yours apart, you would not see any wear whatsoever. You would see some bearing wear and the rings might have some wear, but as long as you're getting full compression it doesn't matter. I took mine apart at 150k and there was zero ridge on the cylinder walls and you could still see the factory crosshatch. The valvesprings will weaken over time too, so you could change those maybe for a couple extra ponies.

Very very true. I did the 5.0L swap last year, and it had 135K on it. I had the trans rebuilt, and the only thing the motor got was a new oil pan gasket, a water pump, 180* T-stat, and 8 Motorcraft spark plugs. I never did a compression test, and I don't think I will, because it already runs perfect. I don't want to get sub par results and get any crazy ideas!!:rolleyes: :rlaugh:

The Saleens got a few extras, like an intake.

Stock 5.0L, you are looking at 190rwhp, give or take 5 rwhp in good shape.

The problem is, that there are so many variables. Some do not even have a/c, which is going to bump the numbers up.

I personally haven't seen a stock one dyno over 200rwhp confirmed, without something done to it.

I have went to two different dyno days now in my car and put down right around the 218 rwhp and 286 torque region on a mustang dyno with basically just exhaust for power modifications. The dyno was calibrated for a halfway point between mustang and dynojet numbers to make the ricers at the meet feel better, so the operator said on true mustang dyno numbers it would be closer to 210 hp or so. 200k km, no AC or smog, I was pretty happy both times.

Is exhaust considered a mod? I'm also wondering what my 5spd 90 5.0 lx is doing these days. How much is a dyno or are there like dyno days where you can go for free...might be interesting for some of us to get some numbers.

Is exhaust considered a mod? I'm also wondering what my 5spd 90 5.0 lx is doing these days. How much is a dyno or are there like dyno days where you can go for free...might be interesting for some of us to get some numbers.

Yeah, exhaust is considered a mod:nice:

Dyno runs could be anywhere from $40-$70, and more so when you get a tune. Your looking at a few hundred. Unless you are know some guys real well, typically they are not free, but if you go with a group you can get a good deal.

Dyno numbers can be skewed with different types of corrections - STD, SAE.