new to mustang world, gotta question.

bagged00

Dec 3, 2008
hey guys was up. i new to the forum and kinda of to mustangs. ive been in to trucks for a while but now its time for a mustang always wanted one and now i think its time to get one. so heres the questions. im looking at an 02 gt with 85k on it tan leather 5 speed, downfall is the 5th gear synchro going out. how hard is this to replace? where do you get the parts from?? i work at a dealership body shop and know alotta boys in service side. and i know ive seen them on the inside of a tranny and think they could help me do it for pretty much free(labor). also another question is what kinda trans are in these. i talked to my bro whos big into mustangs(drives sick 03 black mach, i love it) and he says they either had t45 or t3650(i think that was the other one he said.) but he said couldnt remember that he thought thats the year when they started switching the transmissions in these cars. thanks ahead of time guys looking forward to getting into a mustang for the first time. cant wait.
later

• Sponsors (?)

It's a Tremec-3650 Transmission. They started putting them in, in mid 2000-2001 and up. My brother had is C4 transmission rebuilt a couple of times and i don't think it was that bad. He did all the labor of removing the transmission and all. All he did was take it down to the shop and let them tear it apart and put it back together. If you got some people to help you out take advantage of it.

It's a Tremec-3650 Transmission. They started putting them in, in mid 2000-2001 and up. My brother had is C4 transmission rebuilt a couple of times and i don't think it was that bad. He did all the labor of removing the transmission and all. All he did was take it down to the shop and let them tear it apart and put it back together. If you got some people to help you out take advantage of it.

yeah i definately got people to help me out. so a 02 will definately be 3650?? cause if i get it a shifter will probaly be the first thing to go in it. where do i get this stuff from. im not really looking for performance parts cause im not one to give the car hell really. just wanna have the power at my feet when i need it, oh and of course there that great sound.

i look at that site and couldnt find **** on any synchros but keep in mind im new so dont know if im looking in right place. look under manual trans components went to rebuild kit **** and couldnt find **** on a 3650 only like 45s. any more suggestions?

^Yea you probably won't find any rebuild kits for the 3650. I never did, so while i was working at a Ford dealership i just had them rebuild it. I'f you want a good Short shifter and since you said your not really into racing it, check out the MGW:nice: Also check out American Muscle and Maximum Motorsports for parts.

^Yea you probably won't find any rebuild kits for the 3650. I never did, so while i was working at a Ford dealership i just had them rebuild it. I'f you want a good Short shifter and since you said your not really into racing it, check out the MGW:nice: Also check out American Muscle and Maximum Motorsports for parts.

yea my bro used to run steed tri ax in his first mustang gt. and i drove it abunch and love it. he just told me other day he running mgw in the mach and its way better then the steeda. so ill probably be using that. as for the synchro do they make aftermarket or performance ones. if i have to pay same price stock and aftermarket ill get aftermarket then

I'm sorry i do not know that one.:shrug: I think i've heared that when they rebuild the 3650, they use better parts, since there has been sooo much trouble witht them. I'm not 100% on that so maybe someone that knows will jump in and say something. BTW i have heared the tri-axe is also a good shifter but most people think the mgw is a better shifter for daily driving

goog news about the tranny just found out i had a t45 laying aroung the garage that got about 60k on it an in perfect working condition. question is i should just be able to unbolt 3650 and put in 45 correct??

goog news about the tranny just found out i had a t45 laying aroung the garage that got about 60k on it an in perfect working condition. question is i should just be able to unbolt 3650 and put in 45 correct??

That's a downgrade IMHO. It's a weaker transmission.

Plus you'll need to take out the 11" clutch and flywheel and put in a 10.5" clutch and flywheel assembly.

Not many parts for the 3650, you'll need to buy factory OEM peices.

Try these guys for parts

Hanlon Motorsports - T5 and Tremec parts, sales and service

Also, did you try seeing if a simple clutch cable adjustment would fix the problem?

i havent got the car yet. gotta guy suppose to be drivig down to look at my truck on the 20th when i get back from vacation. we been going back and forth pretty sure he'll buy it. god do i hope so. anyways the car about 2hrs away from me found it on autotrader. called talked to guy and he told me 5th synchro going out. so i dont know how bad it is or anything yet. and as far as downgrade i read specs on both the main difference i saw was like it handles like 30 or 40 pounds les torque. and the only thing going on this car is exhaust shifter maybe tuned and that will be it for performance. im not one to speed or give a vehicle hell. i just love the sound of a mustang and having the power available when needed.