New trick flow top end

Hello, new to this! Ok so Im going to jump to it. I have a 93 mustang triple white, so im going to start with my mods i had before the top end. BBK fuel pump not sure on name but its to match the maf and 30lb injectors. I had a bama tune but took it out because it wasnt calibrated for those injectors. The car ran great had a cold air intake never had a problem. The i got the top end kit. (i didnt do the instal wishing i had at this point) i took it to a shop to get the top end installed. After the instal you will never guess. It runs like complete :poo:. I got a new tuned specified for all the mods i had done from bama. Installed and still runs like :poo:. The problem im having is, hard to start, when started rough idle, given a little gas intake backfire so i believe, major lose of power, smells rich but dont have an AFR to prove so. timing is set to 10* put a new fuel pressure regulator on. aftermarket BBK. New headers. Im just stuck cant figure it out. if anyone cal help please it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Preston Marx

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds simple to mention this but did you check and double check the firing order? Popping out the intake sounds like gas is igniting when an intake valve is open.

Sounds simple to mention this but did you check and double check the firing order? Popping out the intake sounds like gas is igniting when an intake valve is open.
yea pulled all plugs 3 times just to resassure myself they are correct. I was thinking maybe buying a new distibutor cap/ i guess i could check to see if cam is 180* off buy, pull cap and checking rotor at top dead center? Thanks! Im going to go look again

ok so after alot of cursing, plugs are good. the car actually runs better when the timing is fully retarded. so either the guy has a 10* stretch in timing chain or idk. because i have all new fuel system. pump regulator injectors all the above, not the filter though. but what are the chance of a filter cause that bad of lean issue. no vacuum leak that i know of, tested with my vape :) it still runs like poop at -10* timing shoot its proballl more than that. hoping for a stretch

Sounds like MAF to me, I had similar problem, are meter and/or injectors new? Pro M accidentally sent me a meter for 42’s instead of 24’s..was also changing cam and intake, new headers at same time .. it ran a little at first but got worse until I tried stock meter and located problem.
Mr. Trotter quickly made it right and runs like a dream... just my experience

I've had multiple cars with tfs top end on them.. They all needed more base timing in the range of 14-16 degrees in order to idle and run right. Also, if your running factory ring and pinon gears the low end will be somewhat sluggish. Not that you should need to have the car tuned to drive it, I've had a few without ever tuning them for years with great results but In regards to tuning if you should ever have it tuned, the tuner will need to look at TOTAL timing. TFS head has a very efficient chamber, it usually makes the best power somewhere in the 30-32 degree range @ 3000-3200 rpm

You are over injectored, that probably isn't helping.
You don't need a tune and i'd suspect if this chip wasn't programmed on a dyno.
A trick flow top end can sometimes squeak by with 19's and a stock meter (not that I would suggest it, but I've seen it be fine).
If that were my car, i'd be running 24's, an 80mm pro m for 24's and pull the chip.

When I did my friends the initial setup was is with 19 lbs. and a stock meter. We then changed over to 24s and a bigger maf when my friend found a little more cash. It ran fine on the 19s.

Lots of things make a car run like crap. Less things make a car not start at all. You need to make a short list of the few things that are most likely the problem and test each one till you find it. I know you've been working on it a while and are frustrated. If it started like you said and ran bad then it had the ability to start after the mods. Several people have given you the obvious suggestion of getting the shop that did all the work to fix the problem and you haven't responded to that unless I missed it....makes me wonder why? When a car leaves the shop it should leave running if that's what you paid for. Curious to know why/how you took delivery of it without it running and being driveable? Did you tow it home?
Answer those please then let's start on the list. If the folks here can't help you get it going then nobody can.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Lots of things make a car run like crap. Less things make a car not start at all. You need to make a short list of the few things that are most likely the problem and test each one till you find it. I know you've been working on it a while and are frustrated. If it started like you said and ran bad then it had the ability to start after the mods. Several people have given you the obvious suggestion of getting the shop that did all the work to fix the problem and you haven't responded to that unless I missed it....makes me wonder why? When a car leaves the shop it should leave running if that's what you paid for. Curious to know why/how you took delivery of it without it running and being driveable? Did you tow it home?
Answer those please then let's start on the list. If the folks here can't help you get it going then nobody can.
It's a long story with the shop, we took it to them 4 times, they charged us 3 grand to get it fixed and blamed it on the "tune". Filed a dispute then they said they would fix it again and I have never heard from them. If I go in the store they tell me to leave. They did get there money back

Also yes I did tow it home all 4 times.... on top of this they also put a huge dent in my hood. We have tried taking them to court. They claim I had exchanged they're free labor for my hood to not be fixed.