New TVS blower pulley from Carmen Goudey

DiMora

Dec 19, 2008
As many of you have seen in my TVS upgrade thread, I recently installed a TVS blower in place of my M90.

My car's internals are not forged, and therefore I was afraid to run the TVS as it comes out of the box. The "box" setup includes a 3" diameter blower snout pulley, as well as an "overdrive" (larger) crank harmonic balancer/damper. That setup makes 15 PSI.

I started looking at options to lower boost to a safer level. At the time, there were only a couple of options:

1) Add Steeda underdive pulleys (a 25% underdrive crank damper and an oversized water pump pulley to take up belt slack. Expected boost was 8-10 PSI (More on that later).

2) Keep the stock 3" blower snout pulley and keep the stock crank damper, and add a Ford V-10 water pump pulley (to take up belt slack). That setup is said to deliver 13PSI and 500-510 RWHP. JDM power currently offers tuning for this setup. The V-10 pulley is around $30.00.

I decided on option one initially. In my case, I also needed a shorter belt, so I added a Roush Eaton M90 ("Roushcharger") belt for a 2009/2010.

I got it all installed and tuned, and I was disappointed. The Steeda pulley setup only delivered 6-7 PSI with a peak at 8.39 PSI. RWHP was 433, torque was 388 (SAE uncorrected on a dynojet). Additionally, as NastyStang has demonstrated twice, the Steeda H2O pump pulleys are prone to failure when used with a supercharger. The Steeda underdrives had cost me $225 and the M90 belt had cost me $50 shipped from Roush...so a $275 investment.

I wanted more boost than what the Steeda setup was making, but I didn't want 13 PSI and 510 RWHP since I am not forged. Therefore, I knew I needed a custom snout pulley, so I contacted Carmen Goudy (AKA Redfire 427 on fnsweet) and we worked together to come up with a spec that would work without any grinding or modification to the stock alternator bracket.

DPP_TVS_Snout_Pulley1-vi.jpg

You can see there is limited clearance between the stock 3" snout pulley and the alternator bracket, which has a raised rib molded into it. Additionally, clearance is not uniform around the periphery of the pulley; it is tightest near the top.

Paper mockups were made, micrometers were employed, PM's were exchanged, and Carmen fired up the CNC machine and delivered me some billety-bling.

Take heed of the pure moto-**** that emerged from the FedEx box. It is an impressive package - all parts are individually bubble-wrapped, instructions are clear and concise, and the parts are polished to a show-quality luster. Carmen even built a special "holding tool" to keep the pulley from turning during installation, which was very useful. I had Carmen add a billet 85MM idler, just in case I had belt tension issues, as the required belt length was unknown since I am the first one to run this diameter pulley.

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley56-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley57-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley58-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley60-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley61-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley62-vi.jpg

The pulley size I asked Carmen to make was one that is the absolute maximum size that can be installed without grinding the alternator / FEAD bracket "raised rib". That size is 3.47" (88.14 mm) at the top of the pulley's V-ribs.

Expected boost was 8-10 PSI, with a spike in the 11 range at rev limiter. That assumption was based on the following matrix I developed:

Setup Damper/Snout/H20Pump Ratio PSI RWHP

FULL TVS TVS / TVS/GT 2.382:1 12-15 530-545
“JDM” GT / TVS/V10 2.208:1 10-13 490-510
Carmen’s 3.47 GT / 3.47”/GT 1.908:1 8-11 475-500
Steeda Steeda/TVS/Steeda 1.768:1 6-9 430-460

So...let the installation begin!

I needed two tools, both available as free rentals form my local autozone.

1) A large, 3 jaw puller

2) A power steering pulley "install / puller" tool

First, I pulled the plastic plug out of the stock TVS snout pulley ( I used a panel-popper from my car stereo days, but a screwdriver / pliers will suffice just fine):

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley2-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley3-vi.jpg

Then, I wrapped 3 turns of electrical tape on the front and aft edges of the stock pulley, so as to not mar it during removal. I also added a short M8x1.25 bolt (that is the TVS blower shaft hole spec - bolt procured at Lowes hardware) to act as a stop for the pulley shaft and protect the opening:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley6-vi.jpg

Here is the 3-jaw puller doing its job. I removed the intercooler reservoir cap to provide more clearance; I placed painters tape over the opening to keep it clean:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley7-vi.jpg

I then mounted up Carmen's press-fit billet pulley mount adapter using a power steering pulley press, again rented from autozone. Note: Do NOT allow the press shaft bolt that screws into the blower shaft to bottom out...if the bolt snaps it will make removal difficult. This may take a second person to hold a wrench on the end of the press to keep the bolt from threading in too deep. The first Autozone press I used gave its life (the bolt snapped) so I had to pick up a second one to finish the job:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley9-vi.jpg

I don't recommend the Autozone tool, as it is of poor quality, but the bottom line is it worked. (When I returned it they didn't charge me for the damage and said they see them broken all the time). Perhaps O'Reilly or Advance Auto will have one of higher quality, or you can purchase a dedicated pulley swap kit from various vendors.

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley10-vi.jpg

Once you have the press adapter installed, the 3.47" pulley itself literally bolts up the the adapter with six hex-key allen bolts. I added some blue Lok-Tite for good measure. Since I was removing the Steeda damper, I had also rented (again, free from Autozone) a harmonic damper puller tool...I removed the steeda underdrive pulley and re-installed my stock GT damper (I had removed the rust off of it with my wire wheel and moto tool and re-painted it two days prior). Here is the freshly painted GT damper and Carmen's 3.47" pulley installed:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley12-vi.jpg

I then employed my helper for final belt installation:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley16-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley19-vi.jpg

Note the 85MM billet idler below the 3.47 TVS pulley. It allows me to use the belt that came with the TVS blower with perfect tension:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley13-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley14-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley15-vi.jpg

So...what did it do?

Mwaaahaaaahaaaaaaa...

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley20-vi.jpg

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley21-vi.jpg

Aric Carrion at Injected Engineering of Kennesaw, GA doing his magic on the dyno:

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley22-vi.jpg

First pull: 476 RWHP 435 torque at 17 degrees timing

Second pull: 505 RWHP 460 Torque with a few degrees more timing...

...then...A/F was made nice and fat for safety...timing was upped to 23 degrees...and we did one for fun...

Third pull: 512.94 RWHP 467.91 torque at 11-12 PSI (peak at limiter 12.73 PSI) at around 11:1 A/F...

All numbers SAE / smoothing zero:

347pulley2-vi.jpg

347pulley_1-vi.jpg

Aric and I decided to make my daily driver / street tune around that initial 476 RWHP mark...he fine tuned my A/F's so they are very smooth...dropped my timing back to 17 degrees, and out the door I went. I hope to drive this car for a year or two without incident before I go forged and light the candle on that bad-boy TVS.

The car pulls like a locomotive now; I really notice the low-end grunt, and there is now some of that awesome blower whine, but it is very subtle...with my Mac Prochamber and Roush O/R exhaust (AKA Borla Stingers) the car sounds like an all-motor car for the most part unlike the M90 which went WHEEEEEEEEEEE.

The butt-dyno says it is a huge upgrade over both my original M90 blower as well as the TVS with the Steeda pulleys. (The M90 with 2.57" pulley and the TVS with Steeda pulleys felt about the same to me, despite the TVS making 40 more RWHP).

Carmen can not only make a 3.47 pulley, but he has smaller designs than the stock 3 incher for forged guys looking to make 18-20 PSI, and he has a larger design that he has developed that will require some minor FEAD bracket rib grinding, but will deliver slightly lower boost similar to the Steeda pulleys.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier.

You guys can reach Carmen here:

[email protected]

...or he is on the fnsweet forum...username redfire427

DPP_Carmens_TVS_Pulley59-vi.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I am also running a set of Carmen's pulleys on my TVS. I went for the 8lbs option, which equates to a 3.75" pulley. As Shane explained, this requires some very slight grinding on the alternator bracket behind the pulley, but this is really easy to do with no adverse effect.

My final numbers were 421/391 RWHP/RWTQ on a Mustang dyno, which equates to about 455/422 RWHP/RWTQ on a dynojet. Peak boost was around 8.3lbs. My car is an 07 Auto, with no motor mods other than the TVS.

I also opted to add the complete set of pulleys from Carmen, just to up that 'Bling Factor'!

These pictures show the minimal amount of grinding required to fit this size pulley...

TVSInstall129.jpg

TVSInstall130.jpg

TVSInstall131.jpg

And the finished item...

TVSInstall141.jpg

TVSInstall137.jpg

TVSInstall139.jpg

I cannot overstress the quality of these pulleys or how easy Carmen is to work with. Even if your car is N/A, I would definitely recommend them.

Andy.