Newbie and GT Grille Questions

PerformanceNut

Dec 8, 2004
Omaha, NE
Newbie and GT Grill Questions

Just got my '05 today, joined the forum today. Hi everyone!

Question about swapping grills. I've got just a Mustang, not a GT (couldn't quite afford that one), but I do want a GT grill. If I were to stumble upon one (or does anyone know how much they cost, afraid to ask the dealer) would this "offend" some Mustang owners to have the GT grill or would it be an acceptable modification?

• Sponsors (?)

i am also interested in that. i think the front grille of the v6 is too plain, the fog lights give it a much nicer look.

i would suspect changeing the grille wouldnt be that hard, i have no idea though how much it would cost.prob between 100-300

I did visit my dealer today, the grille itself (and I knew I spelled it right) is $35 or so, and the lamps are $90-something apiece. The parts guy isn't sure if the wiring for fog lamps is back there though (no biggie). The switch also is $50-something, but I'll probably just wire them straight to the parking lights.

A guy over at Brad's site bought the grill and the lights only to find that the mounting is totally different. I'll go try to find the thread, but it sounds like it won't work. Just trying to save you some money & aggravation...

I was at the dealer about the problem with mine today and the service manager had a V6 in the shop trying to fit it with the GT grill. He found out exactly what has been said here. The GT grill will not fit in a V6 Mustang. The mounting is quite different. Hope that helps for those of you looking for the big eye fog lights.

Thanks so much. That helps a lot so that I don't rip my hair out. The fiance' keeps sayin', "Just wait for someone to come out with an aftermarket grille." I wonder if he's hinting at something? I thought I might go ahead and try it anyway, jack around a little bit and just buy the grille, see if we can shave it or something to get it in (dad's real handy with the power tools) and if we end up getting it to fit somehow I'll get the lights later. It's only $35.

PerformanceNut said:
Just got my '05 today, joined the forum today. Hi everyone!

Question about swapping grills. I've got just a Mustang, not a GT (couldn't quite afford that one), but I do want a GT grill. If I were to stumble upon one (or does anyone know how much they cost, afraid to ask the dealer) would this "offend" some Mustang owners to have the GT grill or would it be an acceptable modification?

Hey,

Welcome to the 05 club and congrats on that new ride :nice: :nice:

I cant see how a GT grill in your v6 would offend anyone. I don't know much about grill swaping so Ill leave that one to the pros ;)

Best of luck :nice:

If I do do it, and it is a success, I will be sure to take pictures and document the process so that I can pass the information onto others who'd like to attempt it as well. It may not end up being the prettiest job on the inside, but hopefully you wouldn't be able to tell from the outside.

I do some aftermarket work and have both a V8 and a V6 right now- the way the grille mounts is different and you can not put a GT grille in a V6. It simply wont fit. The shape of the grille is actually different, the front nose surrounding the grille shell is different and the mounting points are different. It looks very close and you would think it would work but it simply wont work. Also, the V6 grille shell is actually bigger. I think Ford did this so people wont buy the V6 and make it look like a GT- Also, you cant put a GT front end on a V6 very easy. The inner fender wells are different, the attachment points are different etc. There are several parts you would need to buy if you wanted to change a V6 front end to a GT. You would have to change the grille shell, driving lights, wire harness, front nose, inner fender wells, and some bottom ducting pieces. Ive have both front ends off right now and we have been looking at it. They didnt make it easy....

mikes stang 05 said:
There are several parts you would need to buy if you wanted to change a V6 front end to a GT. You would have to change the grille shell, driving lights, wire harness, front nose, inner fender wells, and some bottom ducting pieces.

Didn't realize there'd be that much of a difference. After I took my car into the shop today we were trying to do some tapeless measuring of the grilles (yeah, that's easy) to see what exactly the differences were, but it was inconclusive. I guess I will just have to wait and see if an aftermarket part comes out, or if I can just cut out the holes in the grille and slap the fog lamps into it that way.

I think the V6 has some nice lines. The hood line to the grille line is very nice. its a little more custom/classic look- the GT is a little more racer look or in my mind. Although after driving both, the GT is not only faster, it handles much better also.