Newbie From Moncton,new Brunswick

techforlife

Dec 29, 2017
New to this forum anyway..

I was an apprentice mechanic when the 1987 Mustang GT came out,,loved the car,couldn`t afford it..

So that kinda tells you my age I guess..

Fast forward to last summer,i was going to buy another Dual Sport bike .. already have a highly modified Honda XR650L,,then I thought why not finally get a summer car..lol

So me and the wife flew out to Watford Ontario and picked up an 87 GT convertible..

This car only had 15,000 miles on it,,put I wasn`t sure that was real yet..but it was verified and I bought it..

The dealer had the original wheels with the original VR60 tires still mounted with 3/4 of the tread still left on them,,it had 16" OE Pony wheels on it with almost new tires which were 17 years old..i guess the original owner was going to keep it low miles and not enjoy it...

the car was also stuffed full of original take off parts,,the OE antenna,original shifter (short throw Hurst was installed),the OE inner fender intake muffler,the original serpentine belt,the original headers (BBK shorty headers and full Flow Masters are on it) and also the original air filter in a K&N filter box ans also the dealer window tag that shows the price it sold for lamented in plastic..lol

It had frame connectors welded in,,which pissed me off,,until I found out these cars actually need them..it`s still on it`s OE spark plugs and brakes,,,the calipers still have their plating on them..

Never seen the likes of this..lol

The paint was quite badly oxidized though...buffing it made it shine but it still could use a good paint job to really look nice...

I have been reading up on things to do to it.butb right now I`m replacing all the weather stripping with is 30 years old and flattened out...typical of a 30 year old car I guess..

B

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet, you better get on over to the fox foums and tell your story, with pics of course.
BTW, I would leave it as close to stock as you can stand, keeping any takeoff parts like the previous owner did. Low mile unmolested examples are getting rare. JMO

Oh I don`t plan on doing any real mods to it....just going through the whole car and keeping it as mint and OE as possible...I am though,replacing all the weatherstripping even though it will not see much if any rain..i hope,lol

pictures coming sometime today..

B

Reactions: 1 user
The subframe connectors are definitely a good thing, you would have done it eventually even if your going to try to be fairly stock.

Good to have you with us.

You’re not old, btw. You’re a tweener. Between the young fellas and the old ones here. Real eclectic group.