Newbie with a 1966 (Mustang-dumb)

KSims1868

Jun 27, 2011
I'm going to come out and just admit it...I have NO idea what I've gotten myself into!! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: Well...maybe that's not completely true. I've owned classic cars/trucks in the past but mainly Chevy trucks and VW Bugs from the 50s thru 70s. This is my 1st vintage Mustang.

I got it on a trade for my old '98 Harley that I was really ready to get out of the garage. I feel like it was a good trade...although the girlfriend is questioning my judgement. She doesn't know jack about cars though, or bikes for that matter. I think it was a trade UP big time.

Here it is...1966 Mustang Coupe.
So far here's what I know...
289 with C4 tranny - runs great, but does get hot sometimes (I over-heated on the way home until I found the manual switch for the electric fan).
Disc brake conversion on all 4 corners - stops on a dime.
Originally she was blue and the original blue interior is covered by some ugly maroon slip covers. And the maroon paint job is of pretty poor quality. Flaking in some areas I can see the original blue paint...they didn't even scuff it up before shooting it maroon. Very strange because they obviously took all the panels off to paint it and even installed a maroon dash...but didn't prep the car properly so the maroon paint is flaking in several spots. 1st priority (for me at least) is to replace the shocks (their shot) and replace those God-awful wheels.
California car (still have the plates) that has no rust. Original pans and all very solid. That's my fav part!!

Runs and drives great. Drove it home over 100 miles yesterday.
So...there's the overview of my new ride. She's a running project and I don't intend to fully "restore" it. Just work on the little things here and there and enjoy cruising in this baby.

Attachments

• Driver side-2.jpg
    Driver side-2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forum....rest assured if you have any problems or questions you will be able to get it answered here. There are a lot of smart guys on here with a lot of good advice. You will find that they are just like any other old car with their own set of quirks every now and then. I hope you enjoy your new car, it looks nice from what I can see. A tidbit of advice, get you a Marti Report...they cost about 20 bucks (i think) and they will give you a history of your car, where it was made, production date, trim info, etc.

Welcome again

These are a great bunch of guys with common goals of helping each other and getting help all at the same time. I was in the same boat your in about 4 years ago when I got my first classic car, and without these guys help, I wouldn`t have gotten very far. Enjoy your car, join a car club if you want, you`ll probably enjoy the whole experience.

Welcome to the board. You'll find just about everything you need here, and if it isn't available you can always get answers to your questions. This is one of the best classic mustang forums I've been on for information. That's a nice looking Mustang to get started with.

Looks like you have a good base to work with.

There is no Marti report for 64-66. Ford trashed that info in 1979.

You should add a thermostat switch to that fan, or ditch the electric for a thermal clutch fan. Better cooling, fewer hassles.

Hi,
...and +1 for 2+2Gt's comments.
I'll add, if it doesn't already have a coolant recovery system, add one. These insure your system is purged of air that may be trapped in the block. Also, if the T/S is questionble, that is, you can't determine it's age or it's operating properly, replace it. Change the coolant, perhaps pull the rad, and have it cleaned. Get it cooling properly, then, start fine tuning.
Happy Trails and welcome!