Next Car (most likely a project)

Normally hover in 5.0 talk but i came here to ask you guys this question
im at least 6 or 7 months off from starting my next stang build but since i like to plan stuff out im debating with my self on what i should get next, the 2 cars toying with my mind at this point is a 03,04 termi, or an 05,06 S197
now keep in mind that these cars will remain no where near stock form, just more stock than my 5.0 as in full(ish) interior and A/C
Since i love the twisties both cars with have a (very very)large amount of the MM catalog thrown at it to help the cars handle better, reson im debating between these 2 cars is kinda obvious but need your guy's views on something i may have overlooked, termin obviously makes more power with simple bolts ons, but me having the disease automodifillia neither car will be left alone,
Here is what i have for pros on each vehicle
s197 4.6 (Pros)
Greatly redesigned suspension geometry makes for the best handeling mustangs ever produced, huge wheel well allow for large wheel/tire/brake combinations
wider track width as well as a factory designed panhard setup for the rear as well as a much stiffer chassis design
s197 (cons)
3v heads and no super charger obviously put it behind the cobra in terms of horspower, mods would require more engine related add ons when wanting to make large amounts of power, availability of advanced suspension parts are still being produced for these cars even with the length of time they have been released for, as well as the solid axle despite the factory giving it a panhard setup

Terminator (pros)
4v supercharged monster capable of making 480rwp with simple additions, such as a pulley tune intake and exhaust, IRS makes for very stable exits and entrances of turns regardless of track quality, and well it is a true cobra and that is always cool to drive around in, as well as the plethora of aftermarket suspension parts to go with
Terminator (cons)
Chassis design is no where near as sophisticated as the s197 is, as well as fitting larger wheel/tire/brake combination with the smaller wheel wells, the fact that i dont know if i could deal with taking a very cherry SVT cobra out to the track and raping her just to get my kicks

Now keep in mind both cars will most likely have some sort of radical twin screw setup on both of them to make around 600-700rwhp as well as suspension mods to make them handle like a porsche :rolleyes:

if i am off on anything or there is anything you guys would like to add to aid me in my decision i would appreciate it

• Sponsors (?)

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure it really matters which one you go with. Money doesnt seem to be a major issue. Both are good platforms. Whatever amount you save buying an older 05 or 06 S197 over a cobra, you will end up spending in engine mods to prepare for that high HP goal.

Honestly, it seems like you have it together pretty well. You know what you're getting into, and you're giving it a good deal of thought before you jump into it. Smart. IMO, having drivin both SN95's and a few S197's, I'd have to go with the cobra. I realize whichever you choose will be heavily modded, I'm only trying to get across that the SN95 to me feels more like a driver car, and the S197 feels like a street cruiser. BTW, have you considered an 03/04 mach?

cobra, i'm biased.

if all you are concerned about is the size of wheel you can get for bigger brakes. ur doing it wrong Big Brake Kits : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs View attachment 250298 The Mystery of the Cobra Independent Rear Suspension - SVTPerformance

i ment size of the wheel all togethor, diameter as well as tread size, i was able to fit 275's on the front of my fox so i'd like to go even larger on a newer car without going with flares, something like 295's or larger up front, as far as the link for the irs stuff, ive read much about that and similar things are on that link, but thankyou for posting something that is easy to find, if it seemed like my OP was against the IRS it wasnt meant to be, i know what a formidable foe the IRS is when properly equipped on the track

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure it really matters which one you go with. Money doesnt seem to be a major issue. Both are good platforms. Whatever amount you save buying an older 05 or 06 S197 over a cobra, you will end up spending in engine mods to prepare for that high HP goal.

Honestly, it seems like you have it together pretty well. You know what you're getting into, and you're giving it a good deal of thought before you jump into it. Smart. IMO, having drivin both SN95's and a few S197's, I'd have to go with the cobra. I realize whichever you choose will be heavily modded, I'm only trying to get across that the SN95 to me feels more like a driver car, and the S197 feels like a street cruiser. BTW, have you considered an 03/04 mach?

i did kinda but opted for the termi cause i dont really care for the looks of a mach, (please dont hate we all like our cars our way) as far as the money goes, its not like this is gonna happen in a few weeks, it'll probably be spread out over a year while i spend and experiment and learn more about the cars, some people call me crazy but i have no issue spending the money to get what i want out of my cars since i never have an intention of selling them my true dream is to need some massive 10 space garage filled with the cars ive slaved to build with my own hands, some day i plan on having both cars, but need to decide on 1 for now

03-04 cobras are nice but most I see are going for 25-32K. You can get a low milage 05+ for 15-18k. I would say the s197 would be the platform to build off of.

around here stock form termi's are going for 18-20k, built cobras producing over 550-600hp round here go for 21-25k, even the dealers around here are offering 05's for around 18-20k out the door, so hence the conundrum

If its gonna be a car to play with in the twisties and big power numbers then its the Cobra hands down. They are all over the place for $18-$22K for a nice example of one. Hell my old one is going for $22,000 right now and already has everything on it, only thing it would need for you is a twin screw and a big brake kit. :shrug:

The Terminators are easy to make handle great with simple bracing and all new bushings in the rear.
The S197 is gonna peak at 450rwhp before you have to tear into it and do forged internals. :shrug:

I guess its gonna boil down to what you like better looks wise. :nice:

If its gonna be a car to play with in the twisties and big power numbers then its the Cobra hands down. They are all over the place for $18-$22K for a nice example of one. Hell my old one is going for $22,000 right now and already has everything on it, only thing it would need for you is a twin screw and a big brake kit. :shrug:

The Terminators are easy to make handle great with simple bracing and all new bushings in the rear.
The S197 is gonna peak at 450rwhp before you have to tear into it and do forged internals. :shrug:

I guess its gonna boil down to what you like better looks wise. :nice:

im not gonna lie, the s197 looks much better IMO, i like both, but i think a s197 built for the twisties with a GTR kit setup would be tits, then again ive seen some slightly kitted cobras that look awsome, and seriously your car is going for 22k? you live in texas right, may just have to give that dealer a call, always wanted to fondle your car :)

im not gonna lie, the s197 looks much better IMO, i like both, but i think a s197 built for the twisties with a GTR kit setup would be tits, then again ive seen some slightly kitted cobras that look awsome, and seriously your car is going for 22k? you live in texas right, may just have to give that dealer a call, always wanted to fondle your car :)
Yup, 22K and I am sure you could get it for well under 20K. It has over 20K in recipts with it.

im sorry to hear that, but i may have to take great consideration into that, the next car will definitely have the sonic blue on the top of the list
I would love for a good member on here to get her so i can see it every now and then. :nice:
If you want to know its mods then PM me. Not much in power mods (CAI, MAF, T-body, plenum, long tubes, O/R H-pipe, cat back, 2.81 pully, ICE box and large Afco intercooler) bot it has just about everything on the suspension.
Strut tower, shock tower brace, FLSFCs, Bump steer, Derlin/poly bushings, IRS brace, Bilstiens, Steeda Sport springs, offset rack bushings, FRPP drilled/sloted rotors, Steeda Tri Ax, Centerforce DFX, Fidanza aluminum fly wheel, Steeda oil brather kit, Steeda idler and brand spanking new very expensive Michelin Pilot Sports.

I would love for a good member on here to get her so i can see it every now and then. :nice:
If you want to know its mods then PM me. Not much in power mods (CAI, MAF, T-body, plenum, long tubes, O/R H-pipe, cat back, 2.81 pully, ICE box and large Afco intercooler) bot it has just about everything on the suspension.
Strut tower, shock tower brace, FLSFCs, Bump steer, Derlin/poly bushings, IRS brace, Bilstiens, Steeda Sport springs, offset rack bushings, FRPP drilled/sloted rotors, Steeda Tri Ax, Centerforce DFX, Fidanza aluminum fly wheel, Steeda oil brather kit, Steeda idler and brand spanking new very expensive Michelin Pilot Sports.

thats an impressive list, hopefully its available in a few months when the fox is finished, i cant have too many projects going at once because one of them will probably get very neglected, but if it does come down to me purchasing your car i would have no issue letting you drive it for a bit before driving it back to cali

I personally would go for the Cobra. Even if money is no object, it would be nice to avoid tearing apart the entire engine to get the power you need. Also, the IRS would be nice for road racing and I personally like the looks of the Cobra much better than the newer mustangs. Good luck!

I'd say either. The SN-95 is a great car, Cobra is even better. The S197 have nice race setups available to them, and offer a very potent platform. Put a couple of Griggs suspensions on GT500s this past week, and wow, those cars can really hug some high speed turns.

I'd say either. The SN-95 is a great car, Cobra is even better. The S197 have nice race setups available to them, and offer a very potent platform. Put a couple of Griggs suspensions on GT500s this past week, and wow, those cars can really hug some high speed turns.

yeah the agent 47 sla is a very nice setup for the s197, wonder if i could do an irs on an s197...