next upgrade for my '90 gt racecar?

kbeefy

Aug 12, 2007
OK heres the story... I recently purchased my friends '90 gt road racer. I'v e ran it a few times and it feels really nice, though I don't have enough seat time to have pushed it past any limits yet. This car is 85% track car, 10% autox/solo, 4% on the street and maybe 1% at the drags if I'm bored some day. I was wondering if any of the more experienced mustang owners saw any obvious flaws in this car, so I can correct them. Otherwise where would you spend time/money next?

Heres some details...

'90 GT 5.0 5spd car. Engine rebuilt within 250 miles. Edelbrock heads, cam and intake. Performance MAF conversion w/ cobra computer. 24lb injectors, performance FPR, performance throttle body. March (I think) Cold Air Intake, BBK Shorty headers, custom h-pipe and exhaust w/ dual flowmaster 40's. Nice compliment of Autometer Gauges. Accusump oil system, some mid sized oil cooler, moroso road race oilpan and windage tray. Full MSD ignition including billet dizzy, coil, wires and box. Some big aluminuim radiator and electric fan. Underdrive pulley setup. Fuel Cell, race fuel pump. Almost new race clutch. Tranny has been rebuilt w/ stronger bits, the poor old T-5 couldn't handle road racing.

Gutted interior, full cage, Kirkey road race seat, RCI platimuim harness, Optima red-top battery relocated behind passenger in box.

rear: Maximuim Motorsports Chassis stiffeners, Torque Arm, Adjustable lower control arms, Panhard bar, adjustable swaybar, Tokiko adjustable shocks, race springs.

front: Maximuim Motorsports strut tower brace, race springs, Caster/Camber plates, Adjustable Tokikos, HD swaybar.

Baer 13" brakes up front, I think 11's out back, Custom Master cylinder and proportioning valve, Stainless lines, Hubs and axles upgraded to SN95 stuff, 17" rims and race rubber. Has Avon 275/40zr17 race tires, as well as several hoosier spares.

EDIT: oh yeah... 3.73 and a posi as well, dunno if the posi was stock (probably)

I have a MM K-member brace, I was told it won't fit due to the oilpan so I have to send it back and get a different one. I'm working on getting a matching passenger seat so I can give rides.
After browsing the MM site I was thinking about putting in some derlin r&p bushings and urethane front lower control arm bushings.
I also read there about a SN95 Steering rack swap, supposed to improve road feel and responsiveness. Probably getting ahead of myself with that one.

Anyways, any advice? Any tremendous breakthroughs that'll help me whoop up on those SC equipped modulars?

Thanks and cheers!!

• Sponsors (?)

^^^^
Looks good to me, dial in an alignement that suits your driving style and run it. Only you will be able to tell if the car needs any improvements and with the list of modifications that the car already has, you have an incredibly good start.

Mike

car sounds well sorted. I will always suggest the first mods done to a car intended for road racing, should start with tightening the nut behind the steering wheel (read driver). Drive it till somthing breaks or wears out then mod what broke/wore out. Maybe down the road some coil overs or my favorite mod More power What track are you taking this thing to? sounds fun good luck and where the heck are the pics?????? Chris

and a few more...

chicanneoh3.jpg

mustangcagecv2.jpg

rearbrakesresizedbg8.jpg

Attachments

• chicanneoh3.jpg
    chicanneoh3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 61
  • mustangcagecv2.jpg
    mustangcagecv2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 62
  • rearbrakesresizedbg8.jpg