NHRA Rules and Battery Relocation

mhanksii

Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
I want to get my battery out from under my hood to make way for a water/meth injection tank. However I am having trouble finding the rules that NHRA set in regards to battery relocation. Such has kill switches, new battery location, etc. Can anyone help me out and does anyone out there have a kill switch on the rear of their S197?

My goal is to get the rear seat out and mount a batter box where the rear passenger would have sat. As I understand it that is the best place for proper weight distribution. Is that correct? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure but I think the battery has to be separated from the drivers compartment; in other words, in the trunk. Also, a sealed battery box bolted down and vented to the outside. kill switch, fused???
Hopefully someone has the latest rules. It also depends on the class you run in as some classes don't even allow it.

Not sure but I think the battery has to be separated from the drivers compartment; in other words, in the trunk. Also, a sealed battery box bolted down and vented to the outside. kill switch, fused???
Hopefully someone has the latest rules. It also depends on the class you run in as some classes don't even allow it.

I don't personally run in any class, I just show up to grudge night and as a spoiler to any chevy or import event I can get into and run. I was told on the phone by my local track that NHRA rules apply and have read that on many other websites the same thing, but I'm not completely sure what that means, lol

Here you go.

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).

Thanks for the info Marc and Rayman. That answered all my questions and confirmed my biggest fear of this project. It's going to be a pain to get done correctly and still look good in the end, lol.