NHRA & Trunk Mounted Battery

66P51GT

Nov 7, 2003
Cerritos, CA
I have a '66 coupe and want to run the battery in the trunk. I know NHRA requires an external battery disconnect switch. However, does the battery have to be completely enclosed or can I use a lightweight mounting bracket that is welded to the trunk floor? I'd prefer the latter since they are cheap cheap.

Which one of these do I need?
(images are just examples)

#1. View attachment 520304

-OR-

#2.
50301.jpg

Attachments

• 50301.jpg
    50301.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Sponsors (?)

I believe it has something to do with the type of battery. If it's a 0 maintenance (like a gell cell) then I think you can get away with not having it enclosed.

If it's your standard lead-acid battery, then you must use a sealed (and vented to the outside) battery box.

Wait until some experts reply before you go out buying parts tho, as I'm no expert..

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
I believe it has something to do with the type of battery. If it's a 0 maintenance (like a gell cell) then I think you can get away with not having it enclosed.
Are Optima batteries of this type? If that is the case, the additional cost of the Optima would be a wash with what I would save by not enclosing my perfectly capable lead-acid battery.

Thanks for the info... waiting for a few more to chime in

66P51GT said:
Are Optima batteries of this type? If that is the case, the additional cost of the Optima would be a wash with what I would save by not enclosing my perfectly capable lead-acid battery.

Thanks for the info... waiting for a few more to chime in

Yes, optima batteries qualify as a 0 maintenance battery.

You should probably go with an enclosure anyways. Keeps stuff away from the battery and keeps your electronics separate from everything else. Summit sells the plastic tub type but stick to the metal ones.
Kevin

Try this for non-expert, non-scientific advice. :D

I've noticed that even maintenance free batteries get ugly corrosion and crud around them over time. While it helps to use cleaner and sealer on the posts and clamps regularly, things still can get somewhat nasty.

I'm planning on sealing the battery in and putting a vent on it just to contain any possible mess. I guess it's probably overkill, but my front inner fender and battery mount area is so corroded... I just don't want that to begin happening in my trunk once I relocate the battery.

My 2 cents.