Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Beat them btchs in from behind w/ a BFH.

Considered that, but didnt want to bend/warp the axles. Barely bumped a curb in the '11 shortly after buying it, and bent the axle just enough to make my rear brake squeak every 500 miles after relubing and relubing it. F that noise. The new 800 ft/lb impact using 4 washers did the trick.

man those Shelby wheels look great, but also look like a PITA to keep clean.

Save your turbines, they look clean. Plus if you ever wanted to go back to stock, you always could.

I wish I kept my stock 10holes. They were prob a 9.5 out of 10, and I sold them for $100. Not that I'd ever put them back on as I'm too far gone with my brake setup now, but I would have loved to have all my original parts kept. My original LX tails are another long-gone part.

I do plan to keep the turbines, but I will also probably never revert back. I plan to stock pile all my stock parts up in the attic of my garage. I retracted my bid on the Shelbys. I have spent enough lately, and the wheels I bought from American Muscle are going to look good (test fit them tonight). Not to mention the clear on my Shelby wheels started flaking within 18 months, and for the cost of those wheels, it sure as hell shouldnt.

Beat me to it.

Also - do some research of the effects of the powder coating process on wheels. Not good stuff can happen.

I have heard both sides of that coin. Some never have issues, some do. Probably not worth the risk. After test fitting the wheels I have already bought, I like the chrome against my red/titanium. Gonna roll with it.

Well now that that is caught up, here is the result of my work tonight. I had rotated one axle and accidentally dropped the middle spider gears out. They were more of a pain in the @$$ to get the back in properly while laying on my back then I had hoped. After I finished that chore, I slid the axles in and reinstalled that damn center pin to keep from fubaring that up again. Now for the good part, @madmike1157 's favorite! Here are pics of new parts installed on old dirty junk. I need to wash out a butt load dirt before I plan to grind and refinish anything, so it is what it is. I got everything fitted, but realized now is the time to rebuild the back brakes, so I am going to slide the axles back out and do that before setting it down.

Driver's side:

20161205_194235_zpslvsvu0om.jpg

Passenger side:

20161205_194405_zpszzvezxlf.jpg

Wheels just sitting on the studs for teaser pics. Dont mind the rotation of the rear tire, I know better. Just grabbed one and slid it on to look and snap a couple pics.

20161205_195934_zps4ywry2l4.jpg

20161205_200009_zpsqh8wb0qe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks Dave. For the price, I really couldnt go wrong. Cant wait to see it on the ground, but that wont be for another week. They are the same style as my '11 wheels that I swapped onto my little Ranger before selling it. See the Raggedy game show thread for a pic of that ol girl.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I made some progress today. My LMR rear brake rebuild kit came yesterday, so today was the day to heat up the garage and get to it. While I was installing that kit, I realized I was a fool not to replace my axle seals. The bearings make no noise and are smooth as silk, so I left them alone. One day I will have them replaced along with the LSD.
What I started with. Both sides looked the same.

20161210_103145_zps6ff8bso2.jpg

The crusty old axle seals that were a PITA to remove.

20161210_111651_zpsqhcrvmbc.jpg

Seals out, brakes rebuilt.

20161210_115952_zpsdba65jhh.jpg

Called my local Ford dealer for new axle seals. They claim they are now obsolete, have to go aftermarket. Since I needed them today, I didnt bother researching their claim, and grabbed these from a local parts store. Surely there are Motorcraft seals out there for us still? I am about to find out after I get done posting this. This is with the new nameless seals in place.

20161210_142408_zpsnpiawp3j.jpg

Got the shiny new axles reinstalled.

20161210_144637_zpsfj6j9yxm.jpg

And resealed and refilled the rear diff. This pic goes out to @madmike1157 , in all its rusty old glory with a crooked diff tag.

20161210_161544_zpsdqc5r4oh.jpg

I used a little vacuum pump tool to get most of the air out of the lines, but need to do a real bleed tomorrow. Then the wheels can go on, and she can be set down to see how much needs to come off the rear springs.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, and this post is for you @Davedacarpainter . I was religiously watching Ebay for an '83 scoop, and snatched one up yesterday.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291967542978
For some reason my ipad won't go to your link.

I did look up 1983 scoop on ebay though, there's one there with a little damage that the owner wants $200 for. I don't have the cash now either. That's alright. one day.....

Good job on the conversion btw.:nice:

Called my local Ford dealer for new axle seals. They claim they are now obsolete, have to go aftermarket. Since I needed them today, I didnt bother researching their claim, and grabbed these from a local parts store. Surely there are Motorcraft seals out there for us still? I am about to find out after I get done posting this. This is with the new nameless seals in place.

Motorcraft BRS10

Rockauto.com sells em. $9 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorcraft BRS10

Rockauto.com sells em. $9 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured they were still out there. Just not something he could, or wanted to order in. The seals I bought seem pretty nice, so I am sure they will be fine. I would have just preferred Motorcraft if they were readily available.

Last edited:
For some reason my ipad won't go to your link.

I did look up 1983 scoop on ebay though, there's one there with a little damage that the owner wants $200 for. I don't have the cash now either. That's alright. one day.....

Good job on the conversion btw.:nice:

This one is in good faded shape with no broken studs or anything, and he had it listed for $125 buy it now. Cheapest I have ever seen, especially considering the good condition its in, so I pounced on it. With shipping, it was $148. Im stoked, because I find the stock hood so boring, but really didnt want to go aftermarket with this car. My other thought was to do a home made heat extractor type hood, but keep it subtle.

Something like this, without the side vents. But much less extreme. More of a '68 style, but with one single vent in the center like the Meier hood.

87-93-aero-kit-02_zpswipyyuj4.jpg

68%20hood_zps0huarrzj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This one is in good faded shape with no broken studs or anything, and he had it listed for $125 buy it now. Cheapest I have ever seen, especially considering the good condition its in, so I pounced on it. With shipping, it was $148. Im stoked, because I find the stock hood so boring, but really didnt want to go aftermarket with this car. My other thought was to do a home made heat extractor type hood, but keep it subtle.

Something like this, without the side vents. But much less extreme. More of a '68 style, but with one single vent in the center like the Meier hood.

Whaaaaaa?????

You didn't learn the last lesson? (Isn't that hood still standing in the pic against the wall ?)

You didn't watch me go through 3 hoods myself?
If not for Dave...........

Messing with welding on steel hoods requires somebody w/ far more skill than either me or you have unless your skill at slathering on body putty exceeds your hood fabbing skills. Then by all means.......have at it.

When there is/are a plethora of already made fiberglass street quality hoods out there to fit that car, why go through the ordeal?
It's not like I could even think of doing that w/ my car.

You added those pictures to tweak Mike, didn't you?

I figured they were still out there. Just not something he could, or wanted to order in. The seals I bought seem pretty nice, so I am sure they will be fine. I would have just preferred Motorcraft if they were readily available.

I put some no-name ones in from LRS about 10 years ago. After popping my rear rotor off, they still are holding up fine.

Granted, I've driven less than 500 miles since install...

How in the wide world of WTFs is that scoop going to cost $46 to ship?!?
He'll get back to us later this evening,.......pigs and chigs to feed,...cows to milk,...butter to churn, eggs to gather. A farm boys life is a hard one.

Days are long,...rewards are little,....and all he has to show for it is one, lousy, red and silver old assed car, that has amassed a large amount of Iowa road grime to it's underside.

He'll get back to us later this evening,.......pigs and chigs to feed,...cows to milk,...butter to churn, eggs to gather. A farm boys life is a hard one.

Days are long,...rewards are little,....and all he has to show for it is one, lousy, red and silver old assed car, that has amassed a large amount of Iowa road grime to it's underside.
Since when did you move to Nashville and start writing country songs? You could teach them boys a thing or two.

Whaaaaaa?????

You didn't learn the last lesson? (Isn't that hood still standing in the pic against the wall ?)

You didn't watch me go through 3 hoods myself?
If not for Dave...........

Messing with welding on steel hoods requires somebody w/ far more skill than either me or you have unless your skill at slathering on body putty exceeds your hood fabbing skills. Then by all means.......have at it.

When there is/are a plethora of already made fiberglass street quality hoods out there to fit that car, why go through the ordeal?
It's not like I could even think of doing that w/ my car.

Ah ha, yes I did learn. If I were to attempt it again, my plan would be to cut a U shape, than bends down into the hood. Make up some aluminum sides, and expoxy them to the underside of the hood, and underside of the vent. Paint the sides a close enough color to the factor red and call it good. The light of day would shine on the sides differently than the flat of the hood, so the paint wouldnt have to be perfect. Take a page out of the gospel of Madmike, and use some glue. Boom, no warpage, holes burnt, grinding to be pretty, etc. But now that I found an '83 scoop, that is all just a past thought in my crazy head.

If he is anything like me, he over assumed on the shipping price. But the price of the scoop being $125 made that perfectly fine. As I have been watching for them, they have been selling for $200+ anytime they popped up. I used to quote low shipping prices on things I would sell on Ebay, and then EVERY TIME some dude from California or New York would buy from me, and I would spend half of what I earned shipping it to them. The scoop is pretty big actually, so I am sure it was at least $30 based on the odd size. @hoopty5.0

No, I actually added them to explain what I had in my head. The pics I add to tweak Mike are the pics of all the dirty parts I keep putting back on the car, lol.
Hey, you can put all the clean parts on a dirty assed substrate that you want to. I see it as a choice........You can come out of the job one of two ways:

hands.jpg

A. or B.

When all it takes to do it the B way is a trip to the quarter car wash first,.......
Uhhhhhhhhh.....
I'll take the "B" hands for a buck Alex.