Nitrous on a 00 GT with 17in wheels

Here is the deal guys. I can't afford a turbo, supercharger, or a cobra. I am sick of going to the track and getting dusted by my friends rice burners and camaros. I can run low 14's to high 13's. I want that extra power with nitrous. The only problem is I don't know much about what I need to purchase. What is necessary and what isn't? I also heard that nitrous causes a lot of engine damage. Is this true? I have seen other people use it with no problems but they don't seem to know what they are talking about when I ask them questions. It is like they had it installed and asked no questions. I take care of my stang and don't want to risk blowing it up. I know my car has a rev limiter from the factory. I haven't gone fast enough to hit it but I heard if you hit it with nitrous you are talking major damage. I love my car and like to race it from time to time. I want to keep my car for a long time like 10yrs + not because I won't be able to afford it but I can't see myself wanting to get rid of this one. I do plan to buy another stang eventually.Any information you can give me would be appreciated. I do understand how nitrous works but that is about it. If someone with nitrous could help me out with the process that would also be appreciated. I refuse to be beaten by these cars. I have read everything on nitrous in these forums but nobody really has given direct answers to the questions asked.

Thanks again guys

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

do a search, there is a lot of good info on here about nitrous. One of the most important things to undrestand is that you will want to run all the extra safety measures to be sure you wont damage the engine. a 100 shot will do wonders for your stang and you wont need to worry about hurting the engine. 100 shot is safe for the 2V motor. Make sure you run spark plugs that are 2 steps colder than the stock plugs with your nitrous. NX makes a great kit for our cars that makes GREAT numbers and a lot of torque. Make sure you get the GenX2 upgrade, purge kit, bottle warmer, window switch and remote bottle opener. another great safety measure is a flip chip for your car. this way, you can have a seperate tune for when you hit the juice that will give your motor the safest timing and ensure a safe run. for daily driving, you just flip it back to your stock tune and go about your business.

Thank you so far

Do you guys have nitrous on your stangs? Anyone have any idea what it would cost to have it installed and tuned? Keep the info coming. I have spent the last 5 hrs on here looking through posts but I keep coming up with the same types of posts. I really need someone to walk me through it. I can do anything else when it comes to cars. This is the only thing I am clueless about.

Mustang00GT81 said:
Do you guys have nitrous on your stangs? Anyone have any idea what it would cost to have it installed and tuned? Keep the info coming. I have spent the last 5 hrs on here looking through posts but I keep coming up with the same types of posts. I really need someone to walk me through it. I can do anything else when it comes to cars. This is the only thing I am clueless about.
We'll I had a NX kit on my old stang and
my current stang is N/A.I had nothing but,great results with NX and no problems with my engine either.I also had a excellent tune and all the saftey
goods from NX! I installed my kit so,I couldn't really tell you what the price would really be because prices very depending on the shop and area.I had a
fellow tell me he would install it all for 500.00 but,I told him I'm installing it
myself and saved the dough.I wouldn't try installing it if I where you if you
are clueless about nitrous.I installed two nitrous kits with my cousins' cars
before so,it was alittle easier.I had my tune done for 400.00 at that time.
I say look for a good place to get your tune done and look for a good shop to
install your nitrous kit.

Mustang00GT81 said:

If you can afford it get the NOSzel kit. I love it. :nice: You can install it yourself over a weekend easy. It's got all the safety gear you want and only needs a bottle heater ( and maybe a purge ) to be effective on the track. It's designed for 4.6l stangs and its a drirect port which means no puddle worries... Its pricey though... I'd check stangnet (with discounts) or brother's performance

The more I research the more horror stories I am hearing about the nitrous systems. As much as I want more power I don't know if nitrous is a good idea being that I want to keep my car for a long time. I also have an o/r h-pipe. If these wet and dry systems use a wire hooked to the 02 sensor and you use MIL eliminators I guess you are screwed or have to go back to a catted system. Let me know what you guys think. I can get a brand new unopened Edelbrock system with all the safety items except the window switch for $250 from a friend of mine. Should I do it guys?

Mustang00GT81 said:
The more I research the more horror stories I am hearing about the nitrous systems. As much as I want more power I don't know if nitrous is a good idea being that I want to keep my car for a long time. I also have an o/r h-pipe. If these wet and dry systems use a wire hooked to the 02 sensor and you use MIL eliminators I guess you are screwed or have to go back to a catted system. Let me know what you guys think. I can get a brand new unopened Edelbrock system with all the safety items except the window switch for $250 from a friend of mine. Should I do it guys?
If you don't pick it up I'll take it. LMK

The stories can be scary but its not as intimadating as people make it. I have run the NX wet kit on my late 02 and am about to install it on my current one. It is a great kit with an awsome company behind it. I've used the same kit on 3 of my cars,93 pontiac bonneville,02 GT hardtop,03 ram,and now this is going on the 02 vert.Same kit. The installation is not to difficult.You and a buddy with some electrical and mechanical knowledge can handle it. Everyone else is right don't mess with to much more then a 100 shot,also from my experiance and others around me I would not suggest a wot switch,I've seen 2 of my buddies personally blow the intake right off,what happens is that you are on the gas and nitrous is going in and then you miss the shift,bye bye plastic intake.Thats why I ran a momentary switch.Just another safty percaution.I cant remeber what kit it is but if you do want to run a wot switch they make one that come with somthing that looks like an MSD box and you can set a rev limit to were the nitrous will shut off,just incase you miss a shift or over rev.Also NX backs their stuff with awsome service all the solinoids carry a lifetime warrenty and they've even replaced a couple of hoses for me. Very helpful and easy to deal with.

The window switch works with the wot switch to only spray the nitrous at the rpm range that you program when you are completely on the gas pedal.A momentary is one that you control on your own, just like the ones that come installed on the shifter handles.You press the button and it sprays and when you let of it stops. With the wot and window as soon as you put the pedal to the floor and it reaches the rpm that you program it sprays and keeps spraying until it reaches the rpm you programed it to stop at even if the pedal is still to the floor.