Nitto vs BFG vs Mickey ET Streets Drag Radials????!!!????

TurbLu

Oct 29, 2005
Which of the three would you run and why? In a 275/40 17. Please give experiences with the tires if you have them as Im ordering a set of these in the next few days.

Good information to post-

How long did they last you, miles or track runs.
How well did they hook. Ie launch points, how high of HP you have.
How were they for daily driving as my car is daily driven.
Will you buy them again?

Any other options for good street drag radials post em up also....

• Sponsors (?)

I chose Nitto's because of the good mileage.And because that size fits 17x8 wheels. They are good street tires on a dry surface & extremely dangerous when wet.I wanted something for daily driving that can go to the track. The traction is good on the street,but doesn't seem to hook great at the track.I do not heat them before racing so that will hinder the hooking.Not sure if I would buy again.I'm researching DR's also.They are not a bad choice and fairly priced. A lot of people like them.

Not personal experience, but from reading similar threads I concluded that:

Nitto: least sticky of the three, longest lasting
BFG: middle of the road
ET Street: stickiest of the three, shortest life

It depends on how much track vs. how much road you drive. I have Nitto 555s (not the drag radial) as my daily driving tires and I'm about to buy a pair of MT ET Streets for track use.

I have nitto's right now. Stick pretty good on the road, not so great at the track. I dont have the wet road issues most have for some reason, they work great for me in the rain. I will probably buy again. I have friends with the BF's and the street life is just not near long enough. I will although be investing in some ET drags for the strip.

The key to the nittos are that you HAVE to heat them up ALOT! Do a nice burnout...about 7-8seconds. I wait till I start seeing the smoke in my mirrors (about 7-8 seconds since im in 1st). I was comeing out @ 4K...and have quite abit of power(crap for prep too..so I was pretty happy with how they hooked). For ME, they hook WAY WAY better at the track than the street. I hear everyone say they hook better on the street than the track, but you have to learn how to use them.

I was about to order ET streets for my 01 gt, but now I think I might go with the BFG's. Everyone I know around here hates the Nitto's and uses the et streets, but I drive the car on the street probably about 500 miles a month and would burn through the et streets real quick from what I hear. Some guys I know get over 10k miles out of the BFG's so I will probably go with those.

Anyone else got any feedback on them?

10k, um . . . ok. Why use them daily? No DR is going to get sellar traction on the street until you heat them up. Buy some "track wheels" and mount them up. My G-Force T/As hook up much better on the street than do my BFG DRs - both 275/40/17.

btw, If I had to do it again, I'd buy some cheap 15" lightweight wheels and go with a tire with more sidewall to take advantage of sidewall deflection . . . research that before buying 17" DRs . . . and keep in mind your stock rear is on borrowed time with 4k plus launches - see my mods for the parts I bought after I demolished mine.

Yes be careful on the wear and tear that car takes if you dump frequently with sticky tires. Also the 15" rim is the better way to go at the track, get yourself some nice street tires, and when you go to the track get put on the 15 inchers, the sidewall flex will help traction more than 17's. 17's are ideal for the twisties not drag.

I've got some 275/45 ET Street's.. Hands down, these are the best drag radials that I've ever used. I can drop the hammer at about 4K on the street, without even heating them up.. I get almost 0 wheelspin, and a nice, smooth launch. On the track.. I have to launch at 4500-5K.. otherwise, I bog the engine down. I've tried Nitto's and BFG's.. and they are no where near as sticky as the MT's. Wet traction is about what you'd expect out of any drag radial. However, it's not that bad. I can drive 65-70mph with no problems.. As long as you aren't driving stupid, you won't have any problems. Honestly, it's no worse than my Pirelli P-Zero's were in the rain. I've got about 3K on my tires so far, and I have a TON of life left on them.. Honestly, I really can't tell how much wear I've put on them.. but it's not much. I drove the car on a 1200 mile round trip a few weeks ago.. Drove between 80-85mph the entire way.. no problems, and averaged 24-25mpg.

Travis

propellerhead said:
Nitto: least sticky of the three, longest lasting
BFG: middle of the road
ET Street: stickiest of the three, shortest life
That is how it goes.
From less to most traction and most life to a small amount of life.
Nitto
BFG
MT DRs.

I run nittos on my car. My buddy has had all three. The BFG hooked up great but didnt last long. He hasnt tried the MTs yet but they are even softer than the BFGs.

I think it should be said that the life of the tire GREATLY depends on your driving habits. If you dog the crap out of your car from every stop sign/red light, sure, you will wear the tires out faster.. But, if you do occasional racing/weekend warrior, and drive pretty much normal the rest of the time, you will get a decent amount of life out of any of the drag radials. I mean, judging from the wear that I have at 3K on the MT's.. I've gotta think that I'll get at least 15K out of them.

Travis

Nitto's seem to be a more sticky street tire. Mileage seems to be compareable to a street tire.
Bfg's Are a DR but in all honesty they fair well in the rain provided they still have tread left. Although if they are for just drag racing they seem to hook harder once they have no tread left on them at the track. Mileage is reduced alot most get between 5-10k of course if your a burnout kingpin maybe on 3k.
MT's are Pretty much a slick with a DOT stamp and I would not consider them for any car that may see rain. Live span is shorter than a fruitfly for actually tread but then again they do hook harder the slicker they get.

Now if your going to go through the trouble of switching rims to go to the track. I suggest just getting some 15" rims and tires they hook ALOT better than their 17" counterparts, also they are usually cheaper too. I know that's what I did.

Have you actually driven on the new ET Streets? Wet traction isn't that bad... honestly. Sure, if you drive stupid, then it'll break the tires loose.. but if you drive normally, it's not bad at all. Now, the OLD ET Streets were more like slicks with a DOT stamp. My buddy had a set on his twin turbo Z, and it was a absolute nightmare to drive in the rain.

Travis