No #1 Spark With Spout In After Distributor Installation-help

RudyV

Oct 18, 2013
95 Cobra, I installed the distributor and timed it with with spout removed. When I install the spout I don't have spark to #1. Car missing badly, can't check to see if the computer is changing the timing.

• Sponsors (?)

I can’t say for sure, but it sounds like you either have the infamous slipped timing ring on the damper problem and the base setting is way off, or the alignment of the rotor to the cap is off which would explain why you have no spark with the spout plugged in (where the ECU is advancing the spark angle).

To check this, you need to mark the cylinder number 1 post on your distributor cap with a sharpie, then transfer the marks to the plastic collar that attaches to the distributor itself. Bar the motor over to the 10° BTDC mark on the crank for the compression stroke of cylinder number one, and check the rotor position relative to the mark you made on the distributor cap collar.

If the brass contract on the rotor is at or close to one of the extreme limits of your marks, then that confirms that the housing to rotor alignment is off. This can usually be fixed by pulling the distributor up enough to disengage the cam gear, rotate the shaft and drop it back down to engage the next tooth on the cam gear. Re-time the engine and recheck the rotor contact position against your marks to make sure that you have a good +/- range around the post marks. It might take a couple of tried to find the happy spot.

Good luck.

Thank You. I'll give this a try...I don't understand why the spark on some of the other cyclinders continues with the spout installed (motor runs) but the #1 doesn't. I'll let you know what I find.