No Brakes After New MC and Bleeding

Just installed a new MC and bled the brakes, but now i have worse of a pedal. Theres no leaks around the brakes. I cannot figure out why I cant get a stiff pedal that goes straight to the ground anymore. Can anyone throw some suggestions? Kinda lost on this.

• Sponsors (?)

Nickyb is asking you if you BENCH bled the mc BEFORE you installed the mc. It is a critical step to get the air out of the mc, before you attempt to get the air out of the lines after mc installation. Bench bleed it. Youtube is your friend.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You have the bench bleed the MC to purge the air out before installing it. The MC is installed on the car at an angle that traps air at the end, which is why it's usually done off the car where it can be held level.

Did you change the MC or brakes to a different type? Sometimes, too large of an MC bore, or too large of a caliper will also result int he pedal feeling way too soft or spongy.

Try bench bleeding the mc before installing, per the above.

Then do the farthest wheel first, etc.

I put all new brakes on a car, and had to vacuum bleed with a Mityvac and finally a Motion Power bleeder to get enough fluid to finally pedal bleed. Pita.

Ended up re bleeding all the lines on a whim. for some reason, the passenger side caliper has an enormous amount of air in it. No other line had air in it so it was a little strange. My brakes are all good now, either than the fast the brake booster doesnt like to do its job lol.

The master cylinder bench bleed procedure takes 20 or more pumps (to get all the air out of the new master cylinder)
Then once you install it on the car it takes a few more pumps to get the system bled
That is if you do everything right
You, in this case, just need to go about 40 more times, and then you'll start getting some pedal

You did that and got them working
Next time put the new master cylinder in a vise and with fluid in it, pump it a bunch of times with your fingers pressed into the ports, or use the bleed kit tubes and fittings that come with it
Pros like me use fabricated brake lines to feed air into a container of new brake fluid
That makes it even easier

Last edited:
You did that and got them working
Next time put the new master cylinder in a vise and with fluid in it, pump it a bunch of times with your fingers pressed into the ports, or use the bleed kit tunes and fittings that come with it
Pros loke me use fabricated brake lines to feed air into a container of new brake fluid
That makes it even easier
Probably should have lol. Thing took forever to bleed.

We had 95 Broncos at the dealer that took days to bleed out after replacing the ABS HCU
We used to take them out of the shop and slam on the brakes while driving on dirt. It would make the ABS kick on and push the air out. Those old Ford trucks were a PITA to bleed.