no name pilot bearing?

87PonyBoyGT

Sep 5, 2003
north jersey
i bought a spec stage one and it came with the t/o bearing(metal and plastic), pressure plate, clutch disc and alignment tool but no pilot bearing. so i go to autozone to pick one up and they gave me a no name brand from china :notnice: . does it make a difference who makes it? or should i just go to the dealer and pick one up? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i think you would be ok as long as it is a bearing and not a bushing. does it look ok, or rather like something that fell off a garbage barge?
i dont know how much a good one is, but i bet it is not much. would probably give peace of mind, but problem is waiting for one.

sorry if i was ambiguous before - too many bearing terms being tossed around in here. i was referring to the pilot bearing/bushing.
BTW, i have no idea what the thinking on plastic and metal TOB's is. :)

It is cheaper, and not uncommon. That is usually the diffrence in the standard (shi tty) bearings and the premium. It is more common for the wheel bearings to be plastic caged though. Most of the the bearings and seals have an (S) in front of the p/n to denote the cheaper ones.

off topic:
i love what they do with plastic these days. some lawn mowers have plastic CAMS in them. how about cutting cost on something unimportant like all the plastic fairing garbage. not the motor internals. LOL.
BTW, while im being off topic, how do you make the off topic flag?

and while we are on this topic, something that i am not sure of and that IS pertinent- there are pilot bearings and pilot bushings for the 5.0's, no (cant keep the cars straight)?
and a semi-rhetorical question: the bearing is by far the best way to go, right. the bushing would be junk compared to a real bearing.....