No oil pressure.....help!!

1SLO306

My 97 GTP owns you ALL!
Mar 31, 2005
Muhlenberg, ky
I changed the intake on my car and dummy me forgot to drain the coolant(but didnt notice and goin into the oil) When i got done i cranked it and no oil pressure. So i called my friend that a machanic and he said water prolly got into the oil so i needed to change it. So i changed it(water was in oil). I cranked it and still no oil pressure. What could this be?? Could me oil pump went out do to it sucking water??

Thanks for any help!!!
Blake

• Sponsors (?)

Since the motor did not seem to run very long with coolant in the oil, I would think the pump is fine.

However if the motor was cranked over with coolant in the oil, then there will be coolant in the oil passages. This coulc have an impact on the oil pressure.
I would pull the dist and prime the pump for a bit, then check the oil for coolant again. It may take a couple of oil changes to get all of the coolant out of the oil passages if this is the problem.

Good Luck
jason

Since it may take another oil change (maybe several), it may be worth while to use a cheaper oil (a buck/qt or less) to clear out the system. Also, be sure to change the filter too. Again using a cheaper one for flushing.

I can't say for sure that this is the problem, but it is all that makes sense to me right now.

Let us know how it works out.
jason

well i finally got time to change the ol in the car again after it sit about 5 days. thier wasnt no water in the bottom of the oil pan this time but after i changed the oil and filter i cranked it and let it run maybe 15-20 secs and still no oil pressure. So i pulled the oil filter off and thier wasnt a drop of oil in it.

Oh and how do i prime the oil pump??? Havent ever did that before.

Does the motor sound like it has "NO" oil pressure ie ticking rattling etc if it does you probably dropped the oilpump shaft when pulling the dizzy for the intake change. BTDT! If it is still quiet or normal at idle you have a guage problem either what was posted earlier (sender disconnected) or you have a bad sending unit. You can check this by turning the key on engine off and grounding the sending unitconnector to the block. If the gage pegs either way you have bad sender.

Easiest way to prime the oil system is to chuck up the correct size socket and a long enstension on a drill motor. The socket is slipped onto the pump drive shaft, then you just run the drill until you feel the oil system pressurizing. You will hear this in the drill motor speed. I usually run it for several minutes, but that is probably overkill. Use some tape to hold the sockets and extensions together so that they don't come loose and fall into the oil pan.

It is possible that the pump died when it was run with water in the system.

Here's my suggestion...
Put the filter back on and prime the pump for a fair amount of time. I have had to run the drill motor for quite a while before starting to get pressure from the pump. Once you get oil flow through the pump, pull the filter to verify that you are getting some oil flow. If the filter has oil then give the car a start, you should be ok. If the filter is still dry then there is either an obstruction in the oil system or the pump has taken a nose dive.

Good Luck

well i got the oil pump shaft out of the pan. took about 2 1/2 hours. Im gettin a new one tomorrow! The one i pulled out was bent in the center and it makes a 90* angle. Which way will the new one go in??? pointy tip to the dizzy? Thanks guys for all the help!! If it wasnt for :SNSign::hail2: i would have spent a couple hundred or more over this prob!