no smog pump = hot start idle search?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
i just put on a short belt (bypassing the smog pump) and today, for the first time, i had the dreaded surging/dieing when i started my car when it was hot.

i am convinced they are connected ...

what is the fix?

• Sponsors (?)

There has to be a connection.. because my car started idling rough and dying out a few days after I bypassed the smog pump.. looks like Im putting the full length belt back on to see if it cures the problem

Mine also developed a problem with a low idle (500-550) and it would sometimes die out when starting warm. I cleaned all the sensors, adjusted the TPS, and adjusted the idle speed and everything has been golden.

it does make sense ... i think. doesn't the smog pump lean out the exhaust to help account for the rich condition when you start the car? i bet the eec thinks i am way too rich so it leans it out and then there isn't enough fuel to keep running. there is probably a way around it with the tweecer.

MisterCMK said:
nope, all the smog pump does is add air to help the cats do their job. removing the smog pump will not change your air/fuel ratio

:stupid: The smog helps none if you have a O/R pipe. Right now my the air tube is welded shut on my X pipe. When I have some time I will figure what size belt I need to bypassing just the smog.

Dustin

matthiasj said:
CHRIS, i told you it was 89.5"...you said i was wrong...WTF. BTW i didnt have any probs with idleing after the install. I actually felt a gain.
Where did I say you were wrong about the length? What I remember saying was that the length might be different for me since I have pulleys and you don't. 89.5" went on really easily for me, it is actually almost too loose. The same length was really hard to get on for you.

I idle fine 99% of the time ... it is just if I start it up after letting it sit a few minutes when it is already warmed up, and then it is only wierd until I start driving again. :shrug:

if you are running cats you need the smog pump... the 3 way cats clog up and klil the engine without the smog pump.. i found this out the hard way as well.. for me it was 30 miles into my 43 mile commute... pulled off the highway checked everythign found nothing... then it was fine the rest of the way to work once the cats cleaned themselves out and cooled off... That time / distance quickly got shorter and shorter until it would happen on a couple mile drive...

Chris

94-302-vert said:
if you are running cats you need the smog pump... the 3 way cats clog up and klil the engine without the smog pump.. i found this out the hard way as well.. for me it was 30 miles into my 43 mile commute... pulled off the highway checked everythign found nothing... then it was fine the rest of the way to work once the cats cleaned themselves out and cooled off... That time / distance quickly got shorter and shorter until it would happen on a couple mile drive...

Chris
but i thought the smog pump only sent air to the cats during the first few minutes, then they closed up and did nothing the rest of the time. :shrug: is this not true?

BlackVert said:
but i thought the smog pump only sent air to the cats during the first few minutes, then they closed up and did nothing the rest of the time. :shrug: is this not true?

Ive read the same thing. Uses it in the 1st couple of minutes when engine is rich on startup.

94-302-vert said:

Chris

What if your running BBK with cats? they are high flow but will this still happen? :shrug: