no start and exhause red hot and burning stuff help more parts more $$$ not an option

bbk ceramic coated headers.cobra heads cobra injectos intakes, crower street cam cold air w/mass air, blaster coile ford motorsports wires PLATINUM plus 4 spark plugs

timing is set at 12 degrees 38psi fuel pressure and it wont start everytime without starting fluid and my headers get RED HOTTT!!!!!! i know obviously your engine creates heat and turns it into mechanical energy but theyre so red hot it looks as if i could remold the metal and theyre burning the spark plug wires and i have them tied out of the way so even an inch or so away they start to smoke and the headers red hot after not even five minutes only idling...thermostat is new actually almost everything is new...not only does it not start without ether but is getting way to hot and my temp guage works and reads exactly normal right inbetween cold and hot right where is should be and it does work and moves according to the temp.....grrrr before i ruin everything any suggestions?????

• Sponsors (?)

PLATINUM plus 4 spark plugs
These are probably the worst plugs you could put in your Mustang...
As mentioned, our ignition systems have trouble with the higher resistance of platinum.
Then there is the shrouding effect due to the multiple tips on the plug. :notnice:

That isn't your problem though...

Sounds like either timing or lean.
Since the car runs on ether, then I would guess lean...

diagnostic codes?
What MAF/ecu?
What other changes were made?

both sides glow and no cats on the car...using a9l computer 65mm cobra throttle body and its either 70 or 73mm maf meter i believe 70...so i should change those plugs? i forget how the gap works on those could i put them in my 4.0L eplorer jst curiouse....what do you mean "spun" balancer and how do i check if you mean i put it on wrong when i put it back together...the timing seems so close though like having it at 12 is good go right with the distributor and becomes more aggresive....i think youre on the right track though what now? as far as codes i dont have a scanner but no check engine light...and calling my timing retarted how rude LOL what now?

You can only put the balancer on one way so you didnt put it on wrong, the balancer is a two peice design, and each peice is between a layer of rubber, the outer part with the timing marks could 'spin' away from its proper position making timing impossible to set.

Are you checking the fuel pressure with the vaccum line off?

From what I seen and heard a 70 mm MAF come from another ford, a 73mm would be a C&L.:shrug:

And yes get rid of those plugs.

I take it you have GT40 heads, autolite 764 or motorcraft AWSF32C, I'm more fond of MC's and they're the same price. I dont know about the +4's in the explorer.:shrug:

Check to see if the rubber in the middle of the balancer is cracked or distorted, but then again the motor would vibate a lot too at higher rpm. (I always imagined your engine runs a little rough right now anyway.):p

Find out if the MAF is really calibrated for 24's, does it have ford part numbers on the sensor and housing?

no part numbers but i bought it off ebay from a guy who was changing to a carb setup i got cobra heads gt40 cobra intakes 24# injectors cold air kit with the mass air meter and he had it running it wasnt enough for him though great for me if i can get it to run right...i just checked and dont see any cracks...whats next man i really appreciate the help from people who really know their sh** and are as into their rides as me

When I built my newer engine it wouldnt go over 3k rpm because it would ping really really bad, I was swaping parts, checking the timing over and over, buying plugs; anyway it was the blasted TFI module, something else to think about.

Did you see if there are any codes? It has to be a timing or fuel issue.

Oh yeah, seme people get fed up with some bug in the EFI system and then they go to a carb set up, did you get the computer from the same guy? I would swap the cpu as a last resort after you exhausted every possible option.

edit: Is this a '86 with the flat top pistons?

the computer was from a junk car but i now got it started and starts everytime...HATE TO ADMIT IT but i had the belt misrouted...couple years ago got the a/c eliminator and bought a new belt that was too big somehow although they say the belt size doesnt change and the a/c eliminator pulley is the same size the belt would slip so i got a different belt cant remember exactly what size and put it on...seemed to tight but better than too loose cause the other one would just slip off the pulley...anyway i readjusted the timing i actually retarted it a bit more and it idles at like 1200 other wise wont start without ether is this OKAY? it is an 86 5.0 i believe flat top they were flat when i pulled off the heads if thats what you mean still need to change the plugs should make a somewhat of a difference huh? now the header only glow orange is the middle basically its a lot better and sounds mean as hell with only 2.5 off road exhaust the super 40 series mufflers and bbk 1 5/8 shortie headers...so i misrouted the belt i made an "S" with the belt on the water pump and crank rather than a backwards "s" like the setup should be...my problems are slowly going away as i unstupify my motor.....THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE HELPED but still need further suggestions...

24 lb injectos mass air meter calibrated for 24# injectos...i bought it off ebay with a bunch of stuff he seemed to know what he was talking about so i really belive they are
ebay sellers don't know jack about MAF meters :nonono:

Anyone following this thread, take note here...

what autolite spark plugs should i get? can i put the plus 4s in my 4.0L eplorer they were expensive might as well use em
Those plugs are garbage... I wouldn't run them in my lawn mower!!!! :notnice:

no part numbers but i bought it off ebay from a guy who was changing to a carb setup i got cobra heads gt40 cobra intakes 24# injectors cold air kit with the mass air meter and he had it running it wasnt enough for him though great for me if i can get it to run right...i just checked and dont see any cracks...whats next man i really appreciate the help from people who really know their sh** and are as into their rides as me
Give us the part numbers on the sensor!
Give us a pic of the housing!
If you don't have the ability to post a pic of the housing, then find something on the net that represents what you have.

Again,
Don't trust anything you find on ebay!!!!!!!! :nonono:

I doubt belt routing is the source of your problems...

best of luck,
jason

a>
here it is but no part numbers just black???

86riceeater's MAF :scratch: anyone??? Def not Ford.
View attachment 318837

Wait, I thought the 86 5.0's had to change over to pistons with valve reliefs, like the '87+ mustangs, before putting on any other kind of head; or your cam must be small because your valves would be crashing into the pistons.

Are you pulling the spout connector when you check the timing, if you changed the cam, are you sure you put the timing chain on correctly?

86riceeater's MAF :scratch: anyone??? Def not Ford.
View attachment 318836
That MAF is a huge question mark... No, make that a GINORMOUS question mark...

I would even be willing to step out on a limb and call it garbage...
If you don't have part numbers on it, then you can't determine EXACTLY what it is...
Unless you know EXACTLY what MAF meter you have, you cannot be sure that the ecu is getting the correct info on what the Fuel Commands *should* be... :eek:

This looks to be a jumbled clusterfugde... :(

Hope you get it sorted out,
jason