Non standard hard brake line sizes?

Parzivahl

Jan 28, 2021
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! I broke a rear brake line on my 2001 V6 (no ABS) - the one that runs to the right rear caliper from the MC - and I’m having a super hard time finding the right size to splice in. The measurement of the outside diameter of all the lines in the car is 0.214” (7/32) or ~5.5mm. Obviously neither the 3/16 or 6mm lines I can find anywhere match correctly. Does anyone have a recommendation on what size to use here? I’m really hoping not to run a whole new line from the MC!

• Sponsors (?)

I thought the non-ABS cars used a single line to the center of the rear axle, one flex hose to the axle and then split to each rear wheel. If so, you would only need to change from the caliper to the central splitter.

I have a Fox, but used a MC and PV from an '01 or '00 V6 non-ABS car when I did my rear disc conversion. I chose this unit because the car I removed it from had only the one line going to the rear (just like my fox). The PV would also give me the correct front/rear bias for 4 wheel discs, so I did not need an aftermarket PV.

I digress, if you have only the single line to the rear, you only need the two flared nuts and a section of new line, bend it how you need to and you should be all set.

I thought the non-ABS cars used a single line to the center of the rear axle, one flex hose to the axle and then split to each rear wheel. If so, you would only need to change from the caliper to the central splitter.

I have a Fox, but used a MC and PV from an '01 or '00 V6 non-ABS car when I did my rear disc conversion. I chose this unit because the car I removed it from had only the one line going to the rear (just like my fox). The PV would also give me the correct front/rear bias for 4 wheel discs, so I did not need an aftermarket PV.

I digress, if you have only the single line to the rear, you only need the two flared nuts and a section of new line, bend it how you need to and you should be all set.
Yes you're totally correct, and I was unclear when I explained it. The single line from the MC is the one that broke. I was replacing the flex line and you have to remove both the line from the MC and the cross-over line to the driver's side caliper to get it off. While I was unscrewing that main line it rolled over itself and snapped since it was corroded and fused directly to the flared nut. Decided to just run a new NiCopp line and hopefully will never have to deal with it again!

On the foxbody, the line from prop valve goes across the firewall to a coupler right near passenger side hood hinge. When I did mine I replaced from the coupler back to the rear axle. I used NiCopp as you did...won't corrode like the original did.

I just bought a 25' coil of the stuff, bent it how I wanted and flared the ends. Worked great.

Oh I haven't started the job yet, and now I'm hoping that coupler on the passenger side is on the SN95s too. I don't want to have to fiddle around bending the line around everything by the firewall. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Which line did you actually break? The SN95 changes brake line routings a few times. The 94-95 cars ran the lines on the non-ABS cars very similar to the fox body, but in 1996, they went to body mounted lines with long soft lines for the rear calipers that go from the body to the caliper.

I believe the soft line at the right rear has a union, in which feeds the left rear brake. One line comes from the front, and the other line jumps across on the body to the other side of the car to the other caliper

this is the rear, passenger side.

1612376675874.png

SO which line did you actually break?

I also believe the 99-04 Mustangs use a coated line so it's a little thicker. Depending on which line broke, I would just run an entire new piece with Niccop brake line

Yep that's right, I broke the line coming from the front right at that union you pictured. Interestingly, even my mounting point for that soft line and union is different than what you sent. I wonder how many times they changed the line routing?

Yep that's right, I broke the line coming from the front right at that union you pictured. Interestingly, even my mounting point for that soft line and union is different than what you sent. I wonder how many times they changed the line routing?

A few times. I think 99+ is when they went to the coated lines too. Plus the ABS cars have a completely different setup than the non-ABS cars.