Noob from Bend Oregon with a 1966 Fastback

JAFHR

Sep 28, 2020
Redmond Oregon
Hello all. I just picked up a very nice and original 1966 Fastback 6cyl 3spd manual. A true barn find one owner car. I've owned a number or cars ranging from Ford, Chevy and Plymouth. Several muscle cars. I am going to spend a little time getting this car sorted out, but in the future I'm wondering if this is a car I should be thinking about a Coyote conversion or because this is a pure original car, should I be thinking about keeping it original. I have an early bronco that is also a barn find that is 100% original. I made important safety upgrades (brakes etc) but am restoring to original. It's has a 302 so it's got a v8. I'm not a big 6cyl kinda guy, because I believe that if you drive a car like this, there should be some ponies backing it up. I do have car with some big HP so I'm thinking seriously on trying to keep this one stock.

Your thoughts.
Greetings from Bend Oregon.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome! I'd want some more power in that car as well. I wonder what it was like back in the 60s to be the guy with a fastback mustang that looks the part but has no bite with that little 6 in it. Have you considered keeping it period correct with a 289? You can always hang on to the 6 and 3 speed just in case you or someone else wants to put it back original at some point.

Post pictures!

Ya, that's kinda on the line I was thinking. A lot of show but no go. I was actually thinking about a 347 which I believe is based on the 302 engine. That should give it a little oomph. Just not sure yet if I should modify it or not. I know someone will say that I own it and do what I want. What is it that you like on the 289.

Nothing in particular except in my opinion its a decent engine that is period correct for the car. They can be built a little and make decent power. Its what is in my 65. The 65 is in 1000 pieces right now waiting to be put back together. The 347 is bored and stroked 302. I saw a 65 with a fuel injected 347 in it. Im just not looking for that much power in my car. Around 300 hp would be nice and is doable with the 289.