Normal Operating Temp For 2003 Sohc Gt?

damacman

Aug 12, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
OK, it's been a few years since I posted. I did a search on this and didn't find much so I figured I'd turn to StangNet.

I'm monitoring water temp in the block, just above the header on the driver's side with an AutoMeter electronic gauge. What would be considered to be a "normal" range? Currently, in this 110 degree heat, I'm reading 240 - 250 with the A/C on and that seems AWFUL high. I realize that water temp will read higher here than say in the intake manifold, but I'm borderline uncomfortable.

It have over 80k miles on it now and I did a complete flush and fill on the coolant within the last 24 months. I also replaced the fan with a Ford replacement as the stocker seized up within the last 18 months.

The stock gauge reads either to the left of center or just in the center. I realize that it's buffered so I don't really rely on it. So, before I do any troubleshooting, am I correct in thinking this is NOT normal?

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I agree that 240 degree coolant seems high to me as well (assuming that its accurate).

Are you sure that the autometer sensor isn't picking up some heat from the headers? FWIIW, the dash gauge sounds good.

Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so, measure the temperature at the T-stat housing.