North RaceCars SN 95 Rear Disc Conversion

89gt89

May 28, 2005
Bothell, WA
Hi Everyone,

Today I installed SN95 rear discs on my 91 Notch project. I started out with an SVO/LSC rear disc setup. The axle was out of an 88 Turbo Coupe with 3:73's. That setup was great for the 87 Saleen rims I have but I'm going to put them on my 91 hatch. The 89 5 star Saleen rims are going to be boxed up and stored. I have a set of 16x8 R9's that I bought in the early 90's(made in West Germany). I love the 5 start style and decided those would be perfect for my project. That's when I ran into the old offset problem. The SVO axles are are too long for most applications unless you have special offset rims ie. 87-91 Saleen. The R9's stuck out a mile and looked terrible. So, I did the SVO flipped calliper conversion using Ranger/ Aerostar axles. Finally, I bought a complete sn95 front and rear disc setup including the spindles and booster. Long story short, I wanted to put those on my Notch. So, I ordered a North Racecars stock trackwidth caliper mounting bracket kit! I took a ton of pics of my install so bear with me.

Attachments

• DSCF0032.jpg
    DSCF0032.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Sponsors (?)

The brackets come bare so I gave them a wash with acetone and a scrub with Scotsbrite. Shot them w/a few coats of semi-gloss black and hung them to dry over night. I already stripped the old brakes so on go the new brackets. Notice, there is a spacer that goes on the outer lip where the caliper will mount. I chose to use my old harware although new hardware is included in the kit.

Attachments

• DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 189
I think I'm gonna have to make a part 2 for this thread. I'm maxed on my attachments. I'll show the 3-2 port, booster, adjustable prop valve, and front disc's I have on the car. I will also highlight how much bigger the SVO brakes are than the sn95. I love the SVO setup so much, I will install it on my hatch. That'll be another thread. Enjoy! Mike

Check your clearances if you do a new front setup, when i went to 95 spindles and cobra disc/calipers, i could never use my 90 saleen 5 stars again.
Not because of the height, but because the spokes hit the calipers.

Check your clearances if you do a new front setup, when i went to 95 spindles and cobra disc/calipers, i could never use my 90 saleen 5 stars again.
Not because of the height, but because the spokes hit the calipers.

You're right. I would have to use a 1/4 inch spacer and the wheels would stick out. The Ronals fit perfect tho and are 16X8 all the way around so no stagger.