notch?

• Sponsors (?)

66Satellite said:
Has there been ANY mention of a possible notchback in the future?

Also, does anyone know if the rear seat folds down in the 05?

It would be nice if they developed a light weight "notch", but I doubt Ford would spend the money on the project. I would like to see a photochop of the current stang in "notch" form.

I think topnotch or chazcron have some chops of notchbacks, I have some on my site too, look for the california specials. I think the rear seat folds down, there's a big split in them that makes it look like you can fold them down one half at a time.

Nawtch, I hope not, I don't think they look particularly sporty and would rather Ford spend its resources on other things that would further improve the Mustang's performance, whether quantitatively or qualitatively, or both.

Ron Jeremy said:
Notchbacks look ugly.

Ugly is subjective. But objectively, they are lighter and (generally) cheaper (both good things IMO). I much prefer the look of the 87-93 notch cars to the hatchbacks, and think the original 64 notch looks great. I think if done right it could look good on the new body style.

I dont think that notches are ugly, they are good in their own right. They are significantly lighter(mine weighs 2700 pounds) and also are more structurally rigid.

The notchback has been part of the Mustang heritage from the start and it would be nice to see a little more variety in the Mustang so people could individualize them a little more.

realtripp said:
I dont think that notches are ugly, they are good in their own right. They are significantly lighter(mine weighs 2700 pounds) and also are more structurally rigid.

The notchback has been part of the Mustang heritage from the start and it would be nice to see a little more variety in the Mustang so people could individualize them a little more.
I don't think a notchback is neccesarily any lighter than a non-hatch fastback, nor enherently any more rigid.

While the Fox body cars were lighter and probably a bit stiffer in notchback form vs their hatchback/fastback siblings, I think this was very idiomatic of that chassis in particular for better or for worse.

Of course, most of any potential weight/rigidity discrepacies would depend hugely on the quality and character of the underlying engineering execution. For example, my fastback/hatchback Probe GT is as light and as stiff as its more notchback/trunk MX-6 sibling, as noted both in my own driving experience and various mag articles. But, as noted, the Fox-body Stangs did have a significant discrepancy between the two configurations.

One advantage a fastback would likely have is slightly better aerodynamics, though that too probably depends greatly on the actual design and engineering specifics.

As for aesthetics, I tend to find the more swept and sleek fastback styling to be much more evocative of speed and performance than the more upright, sedan'ish notchback style, but that's just me and to each their own.

Hotches are lighter that fastbacks due to the reduced glass area. The stiffness factor only comes into play when you campare notches to hatchbacks. A notch and a fastback will be pretty close in stiffness on the same basic chasis. The hatchback's weakness lies in the lack of a structural member crossing the hatch area compaired to a notch or and fastback.

66Satellite said:
Has there been ANY mention of a possible notchback in the future?

Also, does anyone know if the rear seat folds down in the 05?

Well I Don't Know About Ford But Here's My Photoshop of a California Special Notch Back I Did Right After The Dealer Released Pic Showed Up. And My Take On The Vert Too!

And Yes The Rear Seats Fold Down 50/50 Split On The 05.

Attachments

• Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Vintage Lime Gold Coupe1.jpg
    Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Vintage Lime Gold Coupe1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Silver Blue-Conv 2 Top 3 Smooth.JPG
    Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Silver Blue-Conv 2 Top 3 Smooth.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 153
63_Fairlane said:
Hotches are lighter that fastbacks due to the reduced glass area. The stiffness factor only comes into play when you campare notches to hatchbacks. A notch and a fastback will be pretty close in stiffness on the same basic chasis. The hatchback's weakness lies in the lack of a structural member crossing the hatch area compaired to a notch or and fastback.

The reduction in glass area probably gives some nominal reduction in weight, though probably no more than on the order of 10-20lbs or so. As for stiffness, that is far more influenced by the engineering quality that goes into either configuration rather than inherent benefits.

Any inherent difference between notchbacks and fastbacks (non-hatchback) are probably non-existant while hatchbacks are trickier to design to a said stiffness at a given weight, though it can be done with good engineering and perhaps strut tower braces as on, say, the 350Z, though that of course obviates some of the practical benefits of a hatchback.

Regardless, a notchback's upright design simply says staid "sedan" to me versus the fastback's far sleeker profile that has a far stronger performance personna to me.

vyto2 said:
Sorry tampa, forgot you did notchbacks too. Here's the one's I did after seeing and being inspired by tampa.

limecali.jpg

limcalirear.jpg

Hey Vyto, Thanks For The Compliment! I Started To Do The Vert First But The Notch Just Seemed Like A Natural To Do! The Classic Stang Lineup Was Always a 3 Car Lineup, The Coupe and Vert Came First Then The Fastback. I Have A Question, How Do You Get The Images To Show In The Post? I Just Did Get Online Here To Be Able To Post, and It's A Bit Different Than Brad's Site. Any Word On When His Forums Will Be Back Up and Running?

Here's The Vert Top Down I Did.[ url]http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17181[ /url]

Attachments

• Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Silver Blue-Conv-Smooth.JPG
    Mustang Spy Shot BW-Clean-Silver Blue-Conv-Smooth.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 106