now i have a huge dilemma

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
remember that 1967 i said i was looking at?

well a mechanic went and looked over the car today.

the car is almost completely rust free and mechanically it is great.

so i talked to my wife about getting it.

she loves it.

but she says i have to sell the stang if i want to get the fairlane.

raves about the 67 gta:

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_23898.html
http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...1_1967_fairlane_500_xl_convertible/index.html

values:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/price_guide_ford.htm

• Sponsors (?)

Its all in what you want, but personally I'd keep the stang without question. The fairlane will be worth more if you look at it as an investment, but I look at cars as more of a form of enjoyment than an investment.

i am working the "it's an investment" angle, but she says she is sure she'll love it and not want to sell it, and she doesn't want to have 5 cars in front of our house (her parents have 2 that are there now because they lived with us before they went to the assisted living community)

the thing my kids will be going off to college in 2 and 4 years, not 15 years.

if i drag my feet and have a hard time selling the stang, then she'll probably end up letting me keep both.

but it really is an investment. this is a very rare and desirable model. there were only 2117 gta convertibles built with the 390 fe engine. it is certain to increase in value.

You did a lot of work on the Stang :crazy:

All you gotta do is clean up a few details ;)

Then ... it will be a fly ride :nice:

Focus on the Stang and you'll have a one of kind of car :Word:
and
Mamma will be happy :banana:

You know what they say about Mamma being happy :rlaugh:

Grady

My .02-- I'm selling my 95 and keeping/daily driving my 68. It (the 68) has classic styling and value that will never decrease. As time and money allow, it will have all the modern comforts, safety and reliability of a new car, such as....

....an 8.8" GT rearend, 4 wheel disk brakes, AOD/T-5, updated suspension, sound system, 3 point seatbelts, rollbar, and possibly fuel injection. Oh and.... 2 cupholders! :nice:

All it boils down to is opportunity costs... no airbags, but uncommon and classic styling, etc.

I don't know if this will help you or not with your decision, but there it is.

Good luck

but she says she is sure she'll love it and not want to sell it.........

Since the Frau likes it so much, it'll be easy to sell her car instead. :D

Or one of the parent's cars.

As mentioned, we all have a direction we'd lean. But only you can make that decision. Unless you can convince one of the kids to contemplate becoming an apprentice in a trade instead of college............. :D

You sound pretty sold on it. Just be prepared to dump some cash into it if (and once) it's your only car. You'll get real OCD over it. :nice: Look at all the crap Wade has planned for that already outrageously hawt old-timer of his. :drool:

I would wait until you have the stang done and on the road to make a diecion if you really have to sell the stang to get it...

BUT I think you are right... Your wilfe will let you keep both...

A guy here bought two 1979 firebirds from a guy with the intent of selling one of them to recoup most of the total investment... it ended up being a his/her car scenario...

Remember it is better to ask forgiveness than to get permission...

But in all honesty get rid of the parent's cars, use that $$ towards the fairlane and everyone is happy (even the neighbors)...

Just do what makes sense to you... if you are obsessing then do it and then keep the stang...

i can't just get rid of the parents' cars. they are not mine to get rid of. plus, we actually drive them fairly regularly

here is what we have ....

my in-laws' cars:

2000 toyota camry - what i have been driving mostly while my car has been out of commission. this would be the car i drove in the winter when i don't want to take a chance with the stang (or the fairlane) on snowy roads
1992 caprice classic wagon - what we are planning on letting my son drive after he gets his license (he turns 17 in a few days)

our cars:

1995 stang vert - the baddest street car in bethesda
2005 caravan - my wife's primary transportation

i think it makes the most sense to get rid of the caprice and let my son drive the camry. i'm going to float that idea and see what she thinks. that is the least useful of all the cars in front of the house.

the thing is that i don't want to drive the fairlane all the time because that would lower the value. it is primarily an investment.

i have to get the fairlane. it is too rare and sweet to pass up, and it will without doubt increase in value

so i guess, if she insists, then i'll put the stang up for sale after it is on the road again. no, i don't want to do it. if it doesn't sell, then i'll continue the fixup plans i had for it (paint, seats and carpet) and then ask for $20k for it. if it sells, then great. if not, then it stays.

she will probably not be very insistent about selling it though