Now much power can a V3 vortec make on stock motor?

slayerripkdc

15 Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
brewster ny
I am most likely going to be going with a v3 kit and was wondering the power potential it has with an upgraded block to handle higher levels of boost with stock heads, stock cams and stock headers. Also will the basic fuel modifications that come with the V3 kit be able to hold up to the added boost?

• Sponsors (?)

With capable fuel components, you will see the limits of the stock bottom end before you max the blower. The blower can support 600ish rwhp, before you need a bigger trim. I'm running stock pulley, heads, cams and headers and seeing 380/378. I could see closer to 400 with a leaner tune and a powerpipe but I'm more than happy with burning the tires at 40mph in 2nd.

You pretty much limit yourself with stock H/C/E. You'll see that around 500ish where the blower will run out of steam (air).

I absolutely love my Vortech. Definitely much better quality than my friends Procharger setup. Though I wish I was intercooled, that'll be an improvement when I decide to build the bottom end in my setup.

I believe V1 is low boost. V2 and V3 are similar but V3 is self lubricated. Correct me if I am wrong?

Wrong.

The V-1 is a HD blower. Meaning it has bigger bearings that allow it to be spun to a higher RPM then the V2 or V3. They also have straight cut gears that produce much more noise then a V2 or 3. The V1 comes standard with an SI trim impeller but can be upgraded to a T trim.

The V2 and 3 are both SQ trims with non HD bearings and can't be spun as fast and therefore can't produce as much boost as the V1 with the same impeller. The V2 and 3 both come with an SI impeller and can be upgraded to a non HD T-trim but the bennifits would only be 1 or 2 psi at most. The V3 is the same as the V2 but is self lubricated, nothing more or less. Both blowers have gears cut differently then the V1 to make them quiet.

Sorry but those two posts are about as clear as mud. I guess you have a built rotating assy with a stock top end.

With that said I would not run more then 14lbs of boost due to the stock valve springs. After that the boost pressure that build in the intake will begin to open the valves. If you want to run more then that I would upgrade the springs with either a set from MPH or comp cams. I would NOT run anything from crower because I know of 4 built engines that have had severe failures due to one of thier springs breaking.

As for power potential the V3 is more then capable of getting you 550 at the rear wheels with ported heads and good cams. If you really want to push it to the absolute max you can get 600 out of it but it will have nothing left to give you and you will need an aluminum intake like one from TFS to do it.

The fuel system upgrade that comes with the kit will not support 14psi of boost. Those 38 or 36lb injectors will be done at around 435 or so. I would sell them and pick up a nice set of 60s since higher boost seems to be in your future. Selling BNIB injectors is easier then selling used.

Hope that helps you out and dont forget to factor an FMIC into your budget. Treadstone gets my vote FYI.

Sorry but those two posts are about as clear as mud. I guess you have a built rotating assy with a stock top end.

With that said I would not run more then 14lbs of boost due to the stock valve springs. After that the boost pressure that build in the intake will begin to open the valves. If you want to run more then that I would upgrade the springs with either a set from MPH or comp cams. I would NOT run anything from crower because I know of 4 built engines that have had severe failures due to one of thier springs breaking.

As for power potential the V3 is more then capable of getting you 550 at the rear wheels with ported heads and good cams. If you really want to push it to the absolute max you can get 600 out of it but it will have nothing left to give you and you will need an aluminum intake like one from TFS to do it.

The fuel system upgrade that comes with the kit will not support 14psi of boost. Those 38 or 36lb injectors will be done at around 435 or so. I would sell them and pick up a nice set of 60s since higher boost seems to be in your future. Selling BNIB injectors is easier then selling used.

Hope that helps you out and dont forget to factor an FMIC into your budget. Treadstone gets my vote FYI.

Darkside you seem to know your Vortech's haha, I was considering when the time comes getting a V1 T trim, because i want loud i love the sound, but my question is, can i put a t trim on a pretty much bolt on motor get around 400 to the wheels, but yet have enough room to grow with the same blower to a built bottom end, ported heads cams, long tubes and edelbrock and like 20lbs to get me around 600-800?

Question is where do the V1 t trims max out?

darkside03gt.... I made it clear in my first post what I wanted to know.

Don't be a dick. You said something stupid and he called you out on it. No need to be salty.

The question you are asking is wrong. The title of the thread clearly states, "Now much power can a V3 vortec make on stock motor?"

The V3 can make more power than the stock motor can handle. /thread.

Darkside you seem to know your Vortech's haha, I was considering when the time comes getting a V1 T trim, because i want loud i love the sound, but my question is, can i put a t trim on a pretty much bolt on motor get around 400 to the wheels, but yet have enough room to grow with the same blower to a built bottom end, ported heads cams, long tubes and edelbrock and like 20lbs to get me around 600-800?

Question is where do the V1 t trims max out?

I actually spent a lot of time researching vortech stuff before I ditched my S trim for my KB 2.1. Yes the vortech had more power potential but I love the low end tq my 2.1 serves up.

The T-trim will max out at about 650-700rwhp or so and that is the absolute max power it will make. I seem to remember a guy making more then that but over spinning it beyond its efficiency range. The one downside to the T trim is that it will take longer for the boost to come on when compared to a SI trim and drivability will be a little different. Honestly with the minute gains you can make with a T trim its not worth it since vortech has come out with the SI trim. You are talking 50hp difference thats it.

Here is a link that shows you what the different trims are capable of. Keep in mind that this is PEAK efficiency and these blowers will never make the amount of boost vortech claims they will. SUPERCHARGERS: Vortech V-1 Series Supercharger | Vortech Superchargers

Honestly if you are looking to make crazy power with centri blower I would forget about vortech and buy a NOVI 2000. IMOP it is the best centri made because its just as happy at 10lbs as it is at 24. Absolutely amazing blower. I would run one over a JT trim any day.

I actually spent a lot of time researching vortech stuff before I ditched my S trim for my KB 2.1. Yes the vortech had more power potential but I love the low end tq my 2.1 serves up.

The T-trim will max out at about 650-700rwhp or so and that is the absolute max power it will make. I seem to remember a guy making more then that but over spinning it beyond its efficiency range. The one downside to the T trim is that it will take longer for the boost to come on when compared to a SI trim and drivability will be a little different. Honestly with the minute gains you can make with a T trim its not worth it since vortech has come out with the SI trim. You are talking 50hp difference thats it.

Here is a link that shows you what the different trims are capable of. Keep in mind that this is PEAK efficiency and these blowers will never make the amount of boost vortech claims they will. SUPERCHARGERS: Vortech V-1 Series Supercharger | Vortech Superchargers

Honestly if you are looking to make crazy power with centri blower I would forget about vortech and buy a NOVI 2000. IMOP it is the best centri made because its just as happy at 10lbs as it is at 24. Absolutely amazing blower. I would run one over a JT trim any day.

Thanks for the info sounds pretty good, ive been looking into centri's my biggest thing is i hate quiet i would like one that is loud as hell haha, i like people to know its there, Novi 2000's ive heard some good things about them, i know saleen gt made like 700 on a 2v with one, so sounds like theyre the most efficient from 10-25 pounds?

Thanks for the info sounds pretty good, ive been looking into centri's my biggest thing is i hate quiet i would like one that is loud as hell haha, i like people to know its there, Novi 2000's ive heard some good things about them, i know saleen gt made like 700 on a 2v with one, so sounds like theyre the most efficient from 10-25 pounds?

If you want noise get a V1. I heard a T trim at the track that sounded like a mini jet engine with gear wine thrown in for good measure. I deffinetly liked the sound. A NOVI can actually make 30 psi I believe but I would not run one lower then 10 as it just seems to be a waste of a great blower. I am not sure if the NOVI is quiet or not. I am sure you could find some youtube clips though.

Let's remember that Vortech and Paxton are owned by the same company. The T-trim is a far more capable blower than the SI. Sure, the CFM rating is only 50 more, and it is rated as being less efficient, however, you need to look at the maps of the blowers and actual track times/dyno numbers. We have taken the T trim way beyond 800rwhp, where the SI runs out of steam at about 725rwhp, depending on the setup. Time and time again, we have proven the old T to still out perform the SI when being maxed out or over spinned.

The noise between the SI and T trim blowers is about the same. I've been around 90+ SI-T-YSI blowers at my shop in the last 1-2 years(turn out 2-3 cars a week). The only one that stands out as being loud, is the YSI. On the SI-T trim cars, the BOV actually is louder than the blower most of the time(turbosmart). The YSI kit on my car uses the Vortech BOV, which is quiet compared to the turbosmart or tial 50, and the blower is much louder at idle. Once in to boost, my exhaust is louder than either the SI-T-YSI, so it is hard to hear. You don't get the loud whine that a 2300 blower makes inside the car.

Let's remember that Vortech and Paxton are owned by the same company. The T-trim is a far more capable blower than the SI. Sure, the CFM rating is only 50 more, and it is rated as being less efficient, however, you need to look at the maps of the blowers and actual track times/dyno numbers. We have taken the T trim way beyond 800rwhp, where the SI runs out of steam at about 725rwhp, depending on the setup. Time and time again, we have proven the old T to still out perform the SI when being maxed out or over spinned.

The noise between the SI and T trim blowers is about the same. I've been around 90+ SI-T-YSI blowers at my shop in the last 1-2 years(turn out 2-3 cars a week). The only one that stands out as being loud, is the YSI. On the SI-T trim cars, the BOV actually is louder than the blower most of the time(turbosmart). The YSI kit on my car uses the Vortech BOV, which is quiet compared to the turbosmart or tial 50, and the blower is much louder at idle. Once in to boost, my exhaust is louder than either the SI-T-YSI, so it is hard to hear. You don't get the loud whine that a 2300 blower makes inside the car.

Alot of great information here, im not looking for sound to sell me but i would definetly prefer one that you can hear especially at idle, ill look through some youtube videos, but thanks for all the information, So your saying the YSI is the loudest, T trim exceeds in performance? Which one do you think is most reliable? Or they all pretty solid?