O/R X Pipe installed, exhaust smells really bad, when will it go away, if ever?

MyEarsHurt

May 21, 2004
Well, I just installed my O/R X-Pipe 2 days ago, and I love it! It sounds great and (maybe just my imagination) but feels a little more powerful. Anyway, I was sitting at a red light today (top down) and my exhaust really stinks now. Granted, I dont have any cats, but I mean it really stinks! Is this normal when you dont have cats? Will the smell ever go away, or do I just have to plug my nose at red lights from now on?

• Sponsors (?)

The smell will never go away. The worst is when your sitting in your garage and start the car to test things out....it starts to smell in no time.

Hell, even at stoplights in the wide open if I revv a little and then open my windows it reeks within a 20 foot radius. :D

Don't know where you live, but you may think about having the shells of the cats welded on to your offroad pipe to make it look like you've still got'em on...just in case a cop is next to you at a stop light with his windows down. I'm pretty sure most states have heavy fines for not running cats...not trying to be a party pooper but as you can see I live in the most retarded state emissions wise so I'm always thinking abou the law.

Enjoy the sound! :nice:

Nah, I am not that concerned, I bought the car used, so if a cop gives me any crap about it, I will just tell him the old owner told me it had an "aftermarket exhaust." Cops in Michigan are not real strict about that anyway because there are so many 1960-1970 cars driving around that are loud as hell and stink just as bad if not worse than my car.

Considering that most high flow H/X-pipes don't lose any more than 1-2hp on the dyno and the fact that the High Flow Cats alone are so cheap now a days, it's not even worth the trouble getting under your car to weld fake ones in.

Buy a couple of high flow Cats for $120.00, weld them in be done with it. :nice:

MyEarsHurt said:
Cops in Michigan are not real strict about that anyway because there are so many 1960-1970 cars driving around that are loud as hell and stink just as bad if not worse than my car.
I believe if the car is older than 25 years or something they're exempt from emission testing. So the cops -can't- do anything about them even if they wanted to. Newer cars though, it depends on your local laws.

JonJon said:
I believe if the car is older than 25 years or something they're exempt from emission testing. So the cops -can't- do anything about them even if they wanted to. Newer cars though, it depends on your local laws.

Different from state to state, and even different from county to county in the same state. I live in Kentucky, and there are at least two areas in the state that have Cali-style emissions inspections - Campbell, Kenton, and Boone Counties in Northern KY, and Jefferson County near Louisville. Everywhere else in the state there is no inspection, and pretty much nothing to keep you from doing whatever you want. However, where I live, we have emissions Nazis that inspect to make sure all of the equipment is in place, then stick a sniffer up the tailpipe to make sure you're not too dirty.

It kind of sucks, because the above-mentioned areas are fairly-heavily industrialized, and there are major Interstates through our area (I71, I75, I64, I65) with lots of uninspected traffic. Also, they make you have anything newer than 1965 inspected, right up to brand-new-off-the-lot.

The citizens are pretty much up in arms against the inspections, especially since studies have been done that show that it is not nearly as beneficial to the environment as the EPA folks promised. But now we can't get rid of it, because Federal Highway Funds will be withheld if we stop the inspections!

If the Governor had any cojones, he'd tell the Feds "OK, keep your money. But you better get your own Federal road crews to fix the interstates and plow 'em in the winter, because my folks will do the state roads first! What's that? You don't have and Federal Highway Maintenance workers? Too bad - shoulda thought of that before you kept my money!"

Sorry - This issue kind of gets under my skin. Rant Mode Off!

Not 100% sure of the local emission standards, I think its 10 years back in my county. So I only have to play dodge cop for another 4 years! But I have never seen or heard of anyone getting pulled over for it in Michigan.

Michigan was about to have emmisions testing return in a few years but the state cut a deal with the EPA to keep the testing from coming back. I read about it in the paper a few days ago. So there will be no emmisions testing for Michigan anytime soon.

Cops in Michigan seem to only mess with ricers and leave the musclecars alone when it comes to loud exhaust.