O ring found on the end of stock axels.

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi Mustang community,

Need some help. I removed the axel from my 1991 Ford Mustang Convertible and noticed that the axels had an O ring where the C-Clip goes. Does anyone know what purpose do they have there, where can I get them, and official name?

Attachments

• IMG_8712[1].JPG
    IMG_8712[1].JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8713.JPG
    IMG_8713.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8714.JPG
    IMG_8714.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 50
  • O ring.JPG
    O ring.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Sponsors (?)

Nitrile ( Buna-N) and viton are a common o-ring material that will tolerate oils well. Viton will take a bit more heat, but I don’t think in this application it matters

O-rings are standard sizes. Should be easy to track down one of similar size.

Let me see if I have one of those kicking around to measure and get the standard size

Edit: it appears to be a -018 size O-ring. My o ring is a bit beat up as well, so it’s possible it’s stretched and really a -017. I can grab a few at work tomorrow to try out.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Why hav
Nitrile ( Buna-N) and viton are a common o-ring material that will tolerate oils well. Viton will take a bit more heat, but I don’t think in this application it matters

O-rings are standard sizes. Should be easy to track down one of similar size.

Let me see if I have one of those kicking around to measure and get the standard size

Edit: it appears to be a -018 size O-ring. My o ring is a bit beat up as well, so it’s possible it’s stretched and really a -017. I can grab a few at work tomorrow to try out.
Why have I not heard of or read about this before? :doh:
There were no O rings on the axle ends in my 87 Cougar. (I think the standard V-6 had a 7.5” diff, but the same axle set up.) The rear would clunk when shoved side to side when parked. The Stealership said that was normal, and I found nothing that looked worn and nothing else wrong except end play. This probably would have helped for a few miles.
I would want as tough an o ring as I could get, for both gear oil and sideways forces.

I always thought the purpose of the O-ring was simply to hold the C-clips in place during assembly. The c-clip just slides over the o-ring and the tension holds it in place :shrug:

With the C-clip in place, and the axles pulled outwards with the center pin in place, there really isn't a whole lot of movement in the c-clip. I don't see how a little rubber O-ring is going to help with NVH but it's not something I really put much thought into.

On the used axles I checked, only 1 had the o-ring intact, and it was pretty crushed. In fact, it has two flats that aligned perfectly with where the C-clip fit over it. Supports the "assembly holding device" theory. I wouldn't lose any sleep over not putting it back on.

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think it’s a subject worth debating.

If you want to stick them back on, -017 or -018 o-ring is what you want. I used the -017 although I think -018 is the correct size. I’m just unable to confirm as I don’t have that size in my o-ring bin because one of my minions failed to reorder.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think it’s a subject worth debating.

If you want to stick them back on, -017 or -018 o-ring is what you want. I used the -017 although I think -018 is the correct size. I’m just unable to confirm as I don’t have that size in my o-ring bin because one of my minions failed to reorder.
Is this the employee?
4FAF08D7-43E6-49FE-97CD-5C0AC13D4FD7.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users