Odd electrical problem...this ever happen to anyone else?

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
Whats up guys. My cars electrical system has really been acting up the past couple of weeks, and yesterday it really took a dump on me. The past two weeks or so, it seems like every time I drove, I would hear a thump through the speakers and my head unit would turn off. Just totally lose power. This would only be for an instant, and then would have power again. But I know the power was being cut off because all my settings reset (bass, treble, presets, etc). Then for the past week, every other time or so that I would drive the entire car would just die when it was stopped. One time at a red light, it just totally died out. I cranked the key, and the check engine light came on, but that was it. Horn wouldnt work or anything. But I jumped put really quick, fiddled with the battery cables and luckily it started up again.

Another time I was waiting to pull out onto a street and it just died on me. Luckily though it just started right back up, not having to fiddle with the cables connected to the battery.

Now yesterday it happened again. I drove to the store uneventfully, after I got what I needed I drove across the street to get gas. Pulling in the car died again. I started it right back up though, and pulled up and to get next to the pump to fill up. After I filled up I paid the guy and went to start the car and nothing. No cranking, no clicking from the starter or anything. I tried fiddling with the battery cables....nothing. Got a jump box from the gas attendant....nothing. Eventually I just called AAA and had it towed to my house, since my windows were down and didnt want to have anything stolen at being at my mechanics.

Well I last night I went to grab something out of it and was pushing the lock button on the passanger side a bunch of times and all of a sudden I heard what sounded like a click from the back of the car and the dim interior lights got bright to where they should have been and the door chime came on . Then I hopped in and the car started right up. It was late though and I figured Id just try to figure it out today.

Well today, got in the car, started right up. Had it idle while me and my friend were taking my door apart since I got the window off the track from slamming the door yesterday from being so mad . After about 15 minutes I didnt feel like smelling exhaust anymore (no cats) so I shut it up.

Then it happened again. I was putting the driver's side window up and the electical system took a dump again. Windows barely work, horn doesnt at all. Starter barely clicks when you turn the ignition. That happened about an hour ago, and Im stumped.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what could cause this? I had a problem just like this a little over a year ago. With teh car just dying, but it ended up being the battery cable terminals were all rusty, and after I cleaned them off it started right up. I did that a few days ago, and it didnt do anything this time.

Like I said, Im really stumped. And the car runs fine except for this BS . Any help is greatly appeciated. Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the ground strap at the block.... Mine rusted out at the block. Similar problems. Would start one minute and not the next. I wasted lots of money replacing the alternator, battery, etc.

Evenutally I took the starter out of the car and hooked jumper cables directly to it. When it worked it became very obvious to me that the ground cable was to blame. I will never make that mistake again. A $9 cable can cost you alot of time and money. Check to see if the bolt is loose at the block or if the ground strap has rusted out.

It's worth 5 minutes of your time.

fushnicken said:
Check the ground strap at the block.... Mine rusted out at the block. Similar problems. Would start one minute and not the next. I wasted lots of money replacing the alternator, battery, etc.

Evenutally I took the starter out of the car and hooked jumper cables directly to it. When it worked it became very obvious to me that the ground cable was to blame. I will never make that mistake again. A $9 cable can cost you alot of time and money. Check to see if the bolt is loose at the block or if the ground strap has rusted out.

that is so true. do an ohms test of your neg cable and you will prob find high resistance when you wiggle it. what most of the time happens on older cars is battery acid from surface discharge will get under the rubber insulation of the cable and eat it up from the inside all the while it will appear of sound condition.

fushnicken said:

Alright thanks a lot Fush. Where on the block is it located? If you remember. Hopefully thats it :spot: .

DaveB said:
Where on the block is it located? If you remember. Hopefully thats it :spot: .
One big ground is on the driver side of the block in front of the oil pressure sending unit. There is a male stud (arent they all :D ) with a nut in the middle and a nut on the end.

good luck.

Well I cleaned off everything off that thing connected to the block and it still craps out :bang: . I checked all the wires and everything looks fine. If there was a problem with the EEC would that effect the horn and lights and locks? Whenever this problem shows up they barely work. This car is really starting to piss me off :damnit: .

I had almost the same issue last month. I could not figure it out for the life of me. I had intermittent electrical issues and the whole car would buck when i tried to step on the gas. I also used to have issues starting the car when it was hot, thought it was the starter along with other gremlins.

1) Make sure that the main ground strap that we are talking about has been completely removed. Clean the contact areas (block & Frame). I used a green 3M pad with some electrical cleaner. Shine them up nice. I would higly recmmend purchasing a new strap. I got mine at Pep Boys for 4.00. Copper braided.

2)I put new battery cables on. Make sure the collars that clamp on to the batt. post's are tight and clean. They looked functional, but for the money, it was a good link in the chain to tighten........know what I'm saying?

Ever since those parts were replaced it starts right up, hot or cold and no more electrical issues.

Hope that helps

I just got home from work but on my way there the car did soem crazy **** that might be related to this ground strap. I was just driving along then all the electrical accesories shut down. All my gauges dropped down to 0 (like they are when the car is off) and the car did nothing when I gave it gas. The engine was still running (I think) because I still had power steering and brakes. After drifting like this for about 5 seconds everything came back on and the car surged forward. It did this twice in a 15 minute drive. The radio presest were all gone but the dash clocked kept its memory. I'm gonna check the ground strap tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I've been having weird electrical problems since I started driving the car alot and at first thought it was the alternator but this might be the problem instead.

Having exactly the same problem on my 94 GT. Seemed like the volt gauge needle would move around a bit, and car would shut completely off, usually during low speed maneuvers, like turning around. Loud pop from audio system then nothing. No audio, no lights, engine stalled, seems like the entire electrical system just shut down. When this first started happening about a week ago, the car would start back up again. I was assuming it was a short in the alternator or a bad regulator since it only happened at low engine rpm. Yesterday I parked for lunch, and with the engine off/key on it died again. Acted like it had a completely dead battery. But it had just started fine 1/4 mile ago when I left work for lunch. Had it towed to the shop, so I'll let ya know what my mechanic finds. I hate electrical problems because they're very elusive sometimes and I don't have time to d**k around with it. If anyone else has any advice or input I'd be interested in hearing it before the mechanic costs me a small fortune. :bang: Thanks guys (and gals)!!!
-Mike-

Ok, guys. Here's the scoop on my personal slice of Hell. Turns out that a major wiring harness corroded beyond repair according to my mechanic. :damnit: That's the bad news. The worse news is that it's a dealer piece and the cost of just the part is $325!!! :fuss: :fuss: In addition the problem with that shorting wrecked the battery, too. :bang: So, I'm looking at a hefty bill on this one. Wish it was something simpler that I could pass along to others having the problem. Maybe I shoulda just let the short fry the whole damn car... :nonono: I give up...
-Mike-