Odd gauge problem

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
To make a long story short - got the 90 lx out of storage and cranked it up a few days ago. After a few minutes of running choppy (which was expected) it warmed up and purred like a kitten. I took it out on the interstate and ran it at 55 for about a half hour then flogged on it for a while (the car) and it ran perfect, left a big smile on my face. Third gear with 3:55's and a hot engine build will always have a special place in my heart. I decided to drive it to work the next day, and some of my gauges stopped working. I checked all my fuses & could not find anything wrong. The speedometer - cable driven right? But is there an electrical component that comes into play somewhere maybe? Also the oil pressure and amp gaue are stuck at the position they were in when I last turned the car off. I tried fiddling with the switch since they tend to develop looseness over time and sometimes you have to have it in just the right spot to power everything.

So, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Which switch are you talking about fiddling with?

If it is the ignition switch then it sounds like he Ignition starter switch, the electrical part that is bolted to the column that the key operates, is coming apart. On both my Mustangs when the switch started to come apart I had to mess with the key to get things like the blinkers and heater controls working. I am not sure about some of the other gauges since I have a set of mechanicals for my OP and temp.

So if that is what is happening you might want to pull the column cover and see if that connector has started to separate. There are two parts to the connector, the metal one that bolts to the column and the plastic part that the electrical connector plugs into. They have the tendency to separate where the metal tabs clip onto the plastic part. They are about $11 for a new one.