Odd issues with central locking

Greyfur

Mar 22, 2020
Europe
Hello all!

I have a very strange issue with my central locking/anti theft module/whatever, on my 1997 V6 Mustang.

The car apparently originally was sold in Canada (Kph speedo, all the inscriptions in french and english), ran in hawaii for some time, before being imported to Germany.

Now, I've been having a problem with it since I bought it, in fact, I almost didn't get it off the seller's driveway because it (which was fun). It exhibits a series of strange behaviours, and I don't know which are normal and which aren't, mostly because this is my first Mustang, and over here in Europe there's not exactly many I can compare to.

The main problem is the fact that the car will not start unless you've opened the boot once. Like, use the internal boot release switch or the one on the remote, then it starts fine, if you don't do that, all the lights illuminate, but the starter won't turn over. Does anyone know where this comes from?

Second problem (or rather me not knowing if it's supposed to be like that) is the fact that it starts chiming(the same way it does if you leave your keys in the lock and open the door) as soon as I open the unlocked door, and the headlights and rear lights start flashing - is this normal?

Thank you
Conor

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a big believer in Occam's Razor. Which means that we should focus first on the simplest common cause for a problem.

Here's my guess:

Bad driver's key in lock switch and/or door ajar switch.

There's a switch in the driver's door outside key cylinder. This switch sends a signal to the anti-theft module when ever the key is used to unlock the door. If the door is opened without the anti-theft unit seeing this signal it assumes a break in attempt.. For the model years with the active anti-theft system, this also disables the starter.

The bad door ajar switch would also explain why the key minder system is confused..

If this were my car I would CONFIRM that the door unlock/lock switch actually changes state when the key is used.. Then confirm that the door ajar switch also works.

Last edited:
There's a switch in the driver's door outside key. This switch sends a signal to the anti-theft module when ever the key is used to unlock the door. If the door is opened without the anti-theft unit seeing this signal it assumes a break in attempt.. For the model years with the active anti-theft system, this also disables the starter.

The bad door ajar switch would also explain why the key minder system is confused..

If this were my car I would CONFIRM that the door unlock/lock switch actually changes state when the key is used.. Then confirm that the door ajar switch also works.

Just for clarification - my car uses one of those small remotes (keyless entry it's called, I believe). I guess this switch is connected to the central locking solenoid or something because my central locking's a bit ... odd, at times. Central lock switch lost it's return spring on the drivers side and if you press it down and don't recenter it manually, it sends the entire system into overdrive and eventually disables central locking. It does return after a few hours by itself though.

I assume both this and the door ajar switches are located in the driver's door? If so I'll take it apart once I have a new switch insert (mine's pretty buggered up, plus the previous owner glued it against the door, which propably means he snapped the clips off

Have been poking and pulling around a bit and I am fairly sure the switch that senses if an ignition key is in the lock is partly to blame - If I open the door it chimes, if I push the key in it chimes as well, if I pull out again, still chiming, if I wiggle the key around and remove it it sometimes stops.

Since I can't take the door apart at the moment because i'd need to cut away the glue which is holding it, and the car is my daily, I will do this once I have the necessary parts to fix it up again, however, would the ignition key in lock switch be part of the ignition switch or a seperate affair?

would the ignition key in lock switch be part of the ignition switch or a seperate affair?
The ignition switch is different than the switches inside the key lock cylinder.

I just don't see a problem with the ignition key switch also causing your reported symptom with the remote door lock. But there''s always a possibility that you have more than one problem.

The ignition switch is different than the switches inside the key lock cylinder.

I just don't see a problem with the ignition key switch also causing your reported symptom with the remote door lock. But there''s always a possibility that you have more than one problem.

This could very well be the case - It's an old car, and problems tend to turn up - At the moment I'm a bit reticent about pulling the car apart, as I cannot readily order parts in Europe (all the dealers that would supply need them to be shipped over, which takes time, and especially under current circumstances we don't know what'll happen) I am however going to order both the ignition switch (to stop the incessant pinging when the door's open) and the necessary parts to fix my door cover so I can take it apart and have a look what the switch is doing or if it is doing anything. I'll report back once this has been done, thank you very much already!