odd problem-car turning on and off while driving

so recently ive got a weird problem going on with my car. Ill be going down the road, at a constant speed, its happened while crusing at 35,45, and even 75 and 80 mph. While Im driving all of a sudden the tach will drop to 0 and the car will shut off, then as soon as it does it, it cuts itself back on again. Last night this happened 3 times within 5 miles so I just parked it. My guess is something in the ignition system. Its not the fuel filter if anyone was going to suggest that, I actually got that changed when I changed the oil yesterday afternoon. So as I said, just seeing if anyone else has had a similar experience or some insight as to what the hell is going on; thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm with Bill. It could also be a faulty ignition switch connection.

I'd dump codes to see if you get any.

Good luck.

Wehn my PIP went bad it just went on vacation.

the tach would shoot to like 6000 RPM but It was actually doing around 700 and then it turned off and would not turn back on.

But yea, pull codes. it might just be going bad.

its your tfi module or most likely the pick up inside the distributor. also called the stator. It will eventually leave you stranded if it turns off while you are idling.

I had the same problem on my vette... it'd be running and driving fine and every now and again my voltage would drop, tach crapped out, etc

it turned out to be the ignition switch itself - the car also didn't start occasionally

refresh my memory if you will, I havent reallly been active around here in about 6 months because I havent had the car; is the pip sensor the same thing as the spout connector or is it the same as the stator? If the latter is true does that mean I would need to replace my distributor completely?

Ok, I ran a code scan, the only one that came up was a code 33-which according to a list on my5oh.com says it is "EGR valve opening not detected" Im guessing that means my EGR valve is not opening? would this cause what I described?

Ok, I ran a code scan, the only one that came up was a code 33-which according to a list on my5oh.com says it is "EGR valve opening not detected" Im guessing that means my EGR valve is not opening? would this cause what I described?

It is not where I would look for the solution to your issue.

I hope we find someone with the same problem that fixed it. My car is doing the same thing. It does the same thing, it started about 2 weeks ago. The motor only has about 6k miles on it since I put the new stroker in it,new MSD distributor at the same time. I have checked for loose connections but can't find one. It dosen't do it over bumps or turns, sometimes going down a smooth interstate at crusing speed. When it shuts off even the radio shuts off and resets. It only cuts out for just a second,It cuts back on before you realize it happend. :bang:

I tried messing with the ignition switch while driving and can't get it to do it on purpose.

Just for thought, I had a stator go bad. I replaced it, but my symptoms were nothing like you were experiencing. My car ran like complete crap after mine let go. I limped it home, but it was missing like all get out. It is not hard to replace, and the part only cost me like 40 dollars from Advanced.

Grady is right about the codes. 94-95 GT's only have 3 digit EEC self-diagnostic codes. Other systems on the car can have 2 digit codes, but they wont come from pulling EEC codes.
I was going to check that site you mentioned but if the info was on a forum page, I'm not a member so I don't get a decoder ring.

Good luck.

This is exactly what my car was doing when the Pickup/Stator went bad. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing this because it would only do it while the car was moving, and it only set a code once. However, that code was for the TPS being out of range, probably due to the throttle not being 'home' when the engine refired by itself at 75mph.

Pull the cap and look down inside, under the rotor, you'll see a part that has 8 tabs on it. In the back of the distributor there is a black electronic piece(pickup) mounted near the tabbed metal part. Try to wiggle that black part by hand. If it moves then that's probably where your problem is, the tabbed metal piece is supposed to pass through the pickup, but not touch it. It should be mounted solid and not move. Mine had come apart on a newly remanned distributor and was touching the magnets on the pickup. 95snoozer is correct, eventually it will stop running completely, luckily for me that happened in the driveway and not along my 32 mile trip home from work.

You cannot replace this part without removing the distributor and completely disasssebling it. Autozone tried giving me the pickup instead of another distributor but I didn't have a press/puller to remove the gear, so I asked for another distributor. Once I installed it and set the timing, the car seemed a whole lot more responsive.