Electrical Odometer not lighting up

Sly2965

May 19, 2019
Alabama
Hello. I just bought a 2000 v6 convert and a 2002 v6 convert. First mustang's ever. The 2000 odometer comes on ocassionally. Nothing I do will make it come on. I know I can have the cluster rebuilt. But can I repair or replace the odometer myself? If I replace it. What about the mileage?. One more thing. The top won't go down on the 2000. The switch has power and the switch works when I plug it up to the 02. So I guess it need a motor. Am I missing anything.?. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some information for you.

Cluster diagnosis mode and trouble shooting

Regarding the convertible top, did you check to be sure that the convertible top switch will complete to ground when activated? You are aware that the convertible top relay is grounded via the parking brake switch. Best to use a test light that will "load" the circuit.

Hello and thanks for the reply. I do know about using the e brake for the top to work. I just noticed the brake light on the dash does not come on when applying park brake. Also if I ground the test light and hold it to the back of the convert switch when I toggle it to the direction of the test light I get a slight hum from the motor. Very slight and nothing moves.

I guess I need to pay better attention. When touching the test light to either the up or down wire the park brake lights up. So I guess I have a bad ground for the park brake. Now I need to find it.

Ok. Update. I found the park brake switch just laying on the carpet inside the console. I put it back together and the brake light now works. I hit the convert switch and the top went down.
BUT. The top won't go up. The motor works but the top only moves a few inches. I need to figure out how to check the fluid I guess first. If the wife holds the button I can pull the top up manually and it will assist me somewhat. Leaving that for the weekend probably.

the odometer is actually quite easy to remove, finding parts to fix it may be difficult, replacements you can find for about $50. Theirs a piece of trim around the clear plastic of the cluster, if you look at the top of this trim their are 2 phillips screws you need to remove and this trim will pop out. then you will see 4 more screws that hold just the cluster itself. one you remove those you can pull the cluster out and unplug the connectors to replace it. and dont worry about the mileage, the pcm is what keeps the mileage, so changing the cluster wont effect the mileage.

I know I can have the cluster rebuilt. But can I repair or replace the odometer myself?
Here's some information that may help.

Cluster PC foil trace repair.

OBTW, good work on trouble shooting the convertible top ground.