OEM driveshaft bolt are tight

tim281

Dec 18, 2005
Portland, OR
What a PITA, I just had to torch the bolts in order to get them loose. An impact wrench alone was not enough. I guess that loctite on the bolts is some pretty heafty stuff.

I am going to install the FRPP AL driveshaft next, should I be worried about trying to find alignment marks on the axle housing flange? I will have to clean that up pretty well in order to try and see any markings.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah. I picked up a 4 pack at the Ford dealer. They were only like 10 bucks for all of them. You are right, I probably heat treated those bolts pretty good and might have made them more brittle.

I also picked up a tail seal for the T5 just figuring you might as well replace it now with the driveshaft out and all.

What do you think about changing the trans fluid? I have no idea if it has ever been changed, but it has 100k on it. Any fluid recommendations?

Thanks Black Stang, I will pick some up today and change it tomorrow when I hit the garage.
Your sig descritpion of your car looks killer...I ultimately was to run the ecam also with a similar set up.

There is a Factory match mark on the Companion Flange, mine had a Yellow Crayon and a small groove mark and the new Ford Racing Driveshaft will have a green or yellow dot on it, line the marks up and use new Bolts and Torque to 71-95 Ft Lbs.

I found what appeared to be a bit of yellow on the axle flange. It was really faint and was located on the perimeter so I am guessing this yellow strip was the alignment mark. I lined the DS up to that and the DS did have two yellow stickers on it.

I found what appeared to be a bit of yellow on the axle flange. It was really faint and was located on the perimeter so I am guessing this yellow strip was the alignment mark. I lined the DS up to that and the DS did have two yellow stickers on it.

Yep that yellow mark on the companion flange is what you were looking for!

I prefer just to index the driveshaft with a white paint pen before taking it off.

Also, what is the torque of your impact wrench? You may need a stronger one. Nothing like a 700ft-lb IR wrench to get off stubborn bolts.

Your method works great for removing and replacing the stock DS, but when removing it and adding the Ford Racing DS you want to match up the Factory mark on the Companion Flange with the Dots on the new DS.