Drivetrain OEM Shifter Arm on Short Throw Shifter?

CBaron

Apr 12, 2020
Austin
I've probably done a dozen different searches all using different language to drill down to my issue. No luck. It just doesn't seem that complicated and I would've guess would be not uncommon. Oh well....

I own a car with a T5 tranny that came with a short throw shifter and the corresponding short stubby'ish shifter arm. I prefer the longer angled arm of the OEM shifter arm so I ordered a used one from a parts yard. When it arrived I noticed that it did not have the necessary bushing inserts for the arm and I ordered new stainless ones. However, when I disassembled the shifter & shifter arm mechanism I noticed that the bolt pattern (spacing) for the OEM one did not line up with the (more narrower) bolt pattern for the short throw. I did not realized that these would not be pretty universal.

Anyone have a solution for mounting an OEM shifter arm to an aftermarket short throw shifter?

Thanks,
CJB

PS- I can attached some pics tomorrow to help explain if needed

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on the shifter, after all, you can't use an OEM arm on a MGW shifter.

But, yes, you can bolt an aftermarket handle to a stock shifter base, so logically you can bolt a stock handle to an aftermarket shifter base. But, like said before, it all depends on which shifter you are talking about.

Some aftermarket shifters do offer an extended handle as well.

Pics, and knowing what brand parts you have would help

The car is fairly new to me, so I'm not really sure which shifter is in it. Here are some photos but I'm not sure how much it will help.

I was just sorta hoping there were some basic known standards like....oh yeah, OEM shifters use the XYZ mount size.....but most aftermarket (short throw shifters) use the ABC mount standards.....and you can buy an adapter kit from LMR to mate the two. :)

IMG-0560.jpg
IMG-0561.jpg

No I don't. I may be digging deeper into the console and dash soon in order to try and solve some creaking and rattling issues. If the console comes out then I may take the rubber boot off to look more closely.

My OEM shifter will obviously line up with 1 hole. How crazy do you think I am for wanting to put on a hose clamp or 2 to "attach" the lower portion of my shifter arm to the shifter? I know this sounds janky, but how much force occurs at this junction?

A lot. I have fond memories of ripping a shifter off that was only being held on by one bolt.

I ran this handle on a stock base for a while before upgrading my shifter

Bolted on fine. Since your OEM handle wont bolt to that one, I would guess that the shifter itself is not made to the standards other shifters are. You might have to get creative in getting a new handle. Might even have to resort to buying a new shifter and selling that one

Thank you for the input and feedback. Without turning this into some chase down a rabbit hole for a simple shifter arm change-over, I may just have a small flat plate welded onto my OEM shifter. Then I can drill new holes that match the existing shifter bolt pattern and mount it up. If for some reason I mess something up I can always go back to the current short throw arm that's on there now.

[shrug]

Thanks
CJB

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully this isn't a thread hi-jack, but along these same lines can anyone recommend an aftermarket shifter that will accept the stock handle (T5) as a direct bolt on?

I believe the Steeda triax does. I had one and I think I remember using the handle on a stock shifter before I installed the entire thing. It’s been a decade though so I’m not 100% sure

Reactions: 1 user