official afr 165 vs trick flow twisted wedge poll

what head do you think is better

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

T minus 1 day until this thread is a 2+ page flame war.

I use twisted wedges on my car but I would have no problems running a done right prepped afr 185 or an afr 205 on it.

5spd GT said:
How much lift can the TW head take? I know the AFR's aren't meant for anything over .550 lift. AFR's go for $1285 assembled.

Depends if you're talking about stock pistons or not. If you are, it depends on the cam :D The stock junk TW springs are good for .540" lift. They're 110lbs on the seat if I recall. My old cam was 224/228* 547/536 and cleared fine on stock slugs with the heads milled .020". (Not that the .050" specs tell us much in terms of p to v clearance but its what most people look at when looking @ camshafts) You can thoretically run .700" lift and it can clear with the proper events or you can run .499" and have it hit. Depends.

I paid $935 for my TW heads years ago but since then the price of aluminum has gone up.

Grn92LX said:
Depends if you're talking about stock pistons or not. If you are, it depends on the cam :D The stock junk TW springs are good for .540" lift. They're 110lbs on the seat if I recall. My old cam was 224/228* 547/536 and cleared fine on stock slugs with the heads milled .020". (Not that the .050" specs tell us much in terms of p to v clearance but its what most people look at when looking @ camshafts) You can thoretically run .700" lift and it can clear with the proper events or you can run .499" and have it hit. Depends.

I paid $935 for my TW heads years ago but since then the price of aluminum has gone up.

I was talking about the peak lift the spring can take on the head. Not talking about cams. I was going to use it as a price comparison. The AFR's are $1285 with the .550 lift springs. Just wondering what the now-a-day going price was for TW's.

5spd GT said:
I was talking about the peak lift the spring can take on the head. Not talking about cams. I was going to use it as a price comparison. The AFR's are $1285 with the .550 lift springs. Just wondering what the now-a-day going price was for TW's.

I paid $1137 for my TW's shipped to my door, this summer. From Summit. If AFR's were closer in price you could compare the two... but paying more for CNC'd heads aint worth it when todays casting technology works pretty damn good. Just cast them correctly at the foundry and you dont have to do all the fancy machining. Especially for street/strip hardware, it isnt necessary except where you're fighting your competitors for every last HP within a strict set of rules.

So afr's are about $1285 shipped and TW's are about 1,130 shipped. Not that big of a difference in price. On my budget I still went with AFR's. They are both excellent heads to say the least.