Oil change time interval?

Just wondering how critical the amount of time is between oil changes as opposed to the mileage. I am running Mobil 1 Synthetic. I changed the oil last year and only put 500 miles on it. Should the oil be changed now that it is a year old? Looking for some input...

• Sponsors (?)

I changed my oil a couple months back. I looked in my maintenance log to see when I last changed it. May '05 :eek: . But the oil only had 4,000 miles on it. Whether it was good or bad for the engine, I don't know. I just did some road tripping this past week and put 700 miles on the Mach. It ran like a dream. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20.

While I have full confidence in Mobil 1 Synthetic (Been using it since I did my first oil change at 3k), I would change it just for piece of mind.

Any time oil or gas, etc... is just sitting for so long, well, I don't like it.

Oil will breakdown over time, so it is a good idea ot change your oil within the recommended timeframe.

That being said, I just put in Mobil-1 synthetic that is rated for 1 Yr or 20,000km, so that means no oil change for 1 year for me ;)

Oil will breakdown over time, so it is a good idea ot change your oil within the recommended timeframe.

That being said, I just put in Mobil-1 synthetic that is rated for 1 Yr or 20,000km, so that means no oil change for 1 year for me ;)

I'd be curious to see the results of an engine oil analysis between you (long interval change) and the original poster (short interval). I'd like to extend my oil change interval . Has anybody mailed in a sample of used Mobil-1 to one of those analysis outfits ?