Oil pan gasket not fitting, can I cut it?

Baldy

Nov 19, 2003
I'm trying to install a new gasket on my '85 302. I bought a gasket from summit, the application chart said it fit my engine. It lines up right, but the 2 curved sections at the front and rear are too long, for lack of a better term.

When I lay the gasket on the pan, the curved sections want to move to one side or the other; if I shove them in place, then twist or bend, hopefully that describes it well enough.

I was looking online and noticed that many gaskets come in 4 pieces, the curved sections are separate. Could I just cut mine to make it fit, and put a dab of silicone at the cut points? The flat parts have a metal core, but the curved rubber parts do not.

The summit part number is SUM-G2335, link.

• Sponsors (?)

When I did my rebuild, the oil pan gasket was in 4 pieces. A dab of black RTV in the corners has worked well for me. If you cut yours & it dosent work you would be out $25 plus shiping. Summit is really good about returns. If you havent cut it or put RTV on it yet, they would exchange it for you or swap it for the 4 piece if you would rather go that way. I know it sucks to wait for parts but, buying the same part twice dose too.

I got the 4-piece gasket for $12 from Discount auto parts, I'll be returning the Summit gasket, thanks!

I just realized though, my timing chain cover doesn't fit. There's a cup-like piece on the top gear, and it's hitting the inside of the cover. I bought this cover because I'm converting the old clockwise water pump and v-belt setup for a counter-clockwise wp and serpentine pulleys. What's with that cup? Or do I need a different timing chain cover?

Im not sure what the cup is for. my 90 has something like that on the cam gear too but, Im not sure what its called or what its for. I put it back on with the new timing set as I didnt know if it had anything to do with balance. sorry I couldnt be more help with that. what year is the cover from? maybe someone one here knows what years enterchange or if that piece can be removed or gound down.

Get the one piece metal/rubber gasket. Its reusable.

I did, that's the one I'm talking about in post #1. Sorry I didn't clarify.
Im not sure what the cup is for. my 90 has something like that on the cam gear too but, Im not sure what its called or what its for. I put it back on with the new timing set as I didnt know if it had anything to do with balance. sorry I couldnt be more help with that. what year is the cover from? maybe someone one here knows what years enterchange or if that piece can be removed or gound down.

It's the fuel pump eccentric, it operates the mechanical fuel pump, an arm rides on it, or something like that. I've read some sites saying you can remove it, but you have to account for the thickness of the metal there.

Engine is an '85.