Oil Pressure Sensor Issue

Base

Aug 8, 2014
2013 Mustang v6 with long tube headers 14k miles. My nephew started his car to leave work and heard a loud tapping noise so he drove it to the dealership 3 miles away. (This is the short version). At first they claimed they couldn't even look at the car since it had been "modified" and therefore the warranty is no longer valid. 5 weeks later with no resolution and the car just sitting there while the played the "we are double checking with Ford" game is when he got me involved. After 2 weeks of legal wrangling, they finally agreed to look into the engine. The original claim was that it was a spun bearing due to over revving which I dismissed completely. Now they are claiming that multiple seals in the bottom end are shot, metal is everywhere and that it needs a new long block. They claim there is only 2.75 quarts of oil in engine and there is no sign of leaks or burning out through the exhaust (the car has sat on their lot now for 2 months). So their position is that the oil level was not maintained by the owner and it voids the warranty. documented last oil change was 4k miles ago with mobile one at goodyear. My first question was to confirm they were saying 3.25 quarts burned up in 4k miles with no trace in the exhaust. My next question was even if that were possible how could the oil pressure warning not come on with 56% of the oil missing (they said total capacity is 6.25 with filter) they said it would still hold enough pressure. Let alone the cooling system would have been heating up as well and it didn't generate a warning either. My 3rd question was then WTF good is the pressure sensor if it doesn't prevent a failure in the engine? (we dispute that the oil was low) As an engineer and racer, I find it unbelievable that a design spec would allow a threshold to be reached where failure can occur without a warning. I am trying to find what the design spec is for the oil pressure sensor to send a warning. "Hardy" driving with only 2.75 quarts of oil would imo have to trigger it, especially when cornering due to "pan swish" but they claim there are no warning indicators and I do agree that there is not. So my position is that the sensor failed and that is a warranty issue. There is alot more to the story and I will be suing on his behalf, ford, the dealership and the service manager personally for the mega amount of BS involved with this issue regardless of whether they fix it under warranty. I have a meeting with the dealership owner later today because he wants to negotiate a deal to resolve all this, but they have raked this kid across the coals with lies, no communication, miscommunication, and everything that makes the perception of the auto industry shady to say the least, oh but they did offer him a deal on a new truck taking his car in trade for a ridiculous price, the list goes on and on but is extremely well documented.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)