Oil Separator...really Necessary?

mpeach1976

Feb 14, 2014
I've been hearing mixed reviews on these. I've also noticed that my oil level on the dip stick goes down about a quart between oil changes. Is all that blow by...as in all that oil is going into my intake manifold? I'd kind of like to spare my intake all the oil going in. That said; what is done with the oil that get caught in the canister; do you put it back into you engine or discard it completely?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a possibility that it is blow by or there is an internal or external oil leak.

It wouldn't hurt to install one. Most people just discard the oil if it's in the catch can.

I would check to see if your PCV valves are in good condition and maybe even remove the intake to check to see if there is any residue. If there is quite a bit I would look into installing a catch can system.

There is a possibility that it is blow by or there is an internal or external oil leak.

It wouldn't hurt to install one. Most people just discard the oil if it's in the catch can.

I would check to see if your PCV valves are in good condition and maybe even remove the intake to check to see if there is any residue. If there is quite a bit I would look into installing a catch can system.

I had a leak test done at the dealer and I don't have any leaks...My best guess is blow by. Maybe I would fare well by getting one. I've also heard mixed things; some people (like me) go through a quart of oil between every oil change and other people go the entire 7000 miles without losing a drop.

If it's not leaking oil, it's "using" it. (blow-by) And then it's entering your engine via the PCV system. I definitely recommend a good catch can, but not all cans are the same. Some of the most popular ones barely catch anything.

If it's not leaking oil, it's "using" it. (blow-by) And then it's entering your engine via the PCV system. I definitely recommend a good catch can, but not all cans are the same. Some of the most popular ones barely catch anything.
Which are some companies that you would recommend? Which are the better catch cans?

One other thing, the majority of the blow by as much as 70 % from what I have read comes from the passenger side.If you are only going to install one catch can ,which is what most people do, install it on the passenger side.
84Ttop: So you don't recommend the JLT catch cans? I was thinking about to ordering the JLTs this week. I usually buy from AmericanMuscle but I don't see the UPRs on their website Where is the best place to buy them ? Thanks

Last edited:
I have the JLT can in mine. I check it about 1/month and it catches what looks like few tablespoons of oil. 2-3 max

One other thing, the majority of the blow by as much as 70 % from what I have read comes from the passenger side.If you are only going to install one catch can ,which is what most people do, install it on the passenger side.
84Ttop: So you don't recommend the JLT catch cans? I was thinking about to ordering the JLTs this week. I usually buy from AmericanMuscle but I don't see the UPRs on their website Where is the best place to buy them ? Thanks

I will have to look into the UPR brand. Might pick one up and do a comparison between it and the JLT I have on my car. I imagine most blow by happens at high RPMs and this could be how our motors are using up a quart of oil in between oil changes (which is normal according to Ford). I am definitely not catching a quart of oil in the catch can in between oil changes and as I stated earlier, there is obviously oil in my intake which I never had on the car without the catch can. This means that the JLT is definitely not catching everything.

Oil catch cans catch oil, water vapor, and fuel that may contaminate the oil so I would definitely discard this stuff!!
A quart used between changes is quite normal and most of it gets past the rings and valve stems and is ultimately burned!!