oil seperator works

sbelyo

Jun 10, 2005
So since I had a few days off this weekend I installed a Long Tru-Cool tranny cooler (40,000lb GVW), an oil seperator, and a Mach 1 Grille Delete.

After finishing the tranny cooler I took the car for a few hard runs up and down the highway. I noticed that when I got back that there was some oil accumulation already. It's hard to believe that for 70K miles I've been sucking oil into the intake.

I did it for $40.00. I think you could fo it for a little less as the hose I used was $4.75/ft.

1. Compressor air/water trap $11.00 (Wal Mart)

2. 5 ft. 3/8" ID silicone heater hose $25.00 (Hydrolic Supply Store)

3. 2 1/4" MPT to 3/8" hose barb $3.00 (Home Depot)

4. 2 Zip Ties

I zip tied it to the big wire harness against the firewall on the passenger side. There's really no need for a bracket, just use black zip ties and it'll look like it belongs there.

I'll do a write up if anyone wants it.

• Sponsors (?)

Cool...but what purpose would it serve? Gain any HP? Maybe a little I guess, but it seems that the little oil will keep everything all lubed up...but maybe not. Anyways now you should be able to inject the oil back into your car, if its the type that builds pressure so you can shoot it in at startup.

Please do,i'm interested in doing this.I ported my upper plenum near the end of the summer of '03,then had it off last year to do a little more smoothing out,and it was really dirty again.So as of late,i've been thinking of a cheap way to do this. :nice:

So basically if you get the oil seperator (or dissconecct the PCV hose) it would preven the oil from coming in and screwing up your P&P job? Why cant I just unplug the PCV hose and cap it, and put one of those filter things on the top of the valvecover?

I too am a firm believer in using oil catch cans or oil seperators because they do work and limit the amount of oil being "sucked" through into the intake.

It seems like the PCV system on the modular engines tend to allow an excessive amount of oil into the intake. What happens over a long period of time (ie - thousands of miles)? It will eventually lower the octane of the fuel and possibly cause detonation. At least that's the theory according to some folks. There is some weight to this theory, especially on the 4V engines - as some cobra owners will testify to, after pulling their upper intakes off and witnessing a large amount of oil puddling/staining on the intake. How did that oil get in there? The PCV system, that's how.

I am also running an oil seperator on my 4V engine with the factory PCV still in place, and it does trap some oil. Not a LOT of oil, but it does help prevent this "trapped" oil from entering the intake. I used a Huskey brand air/water seperator purchased from Home Depot and a couple short pieces of 3/8" hose, along with hose clamps. My grand total was no more than $15. I installed mine so that it resembles the following setup:

http://www.omslaw.net/tech/catchcanmod.htm

And yes, you could use "breathers" in place of the PCV if you'd like to, but I'm not too keen on deleting my PCV system.

My .02

1low03gt said:
So as of late,i've been thinking of a cheap way to do this. :nice:

It can be done for $20.00 I just spent too much on the hose because I was already at the hydrolic place and the hose looked really cool. It matched the top of the seperator.

hotmustang331 said:
Cool...but what purpose would it serve? Gain any HP? Maybe a little I guess

I dont think I gained much HP if any at all. I just figured that it's best to have air and fuel only in the combustion chamber. And after I saw the inside of my plenum :notnice: and developed a 3/4 throttle ping :bs: I figured it couldn't hurt.

hotmustang331 said:
So basically if you get the oil seperator (or dissconecct the PCV hose) it would preven the oil from coming in and screwing up your P&P job? Why cant I just unplug the PCV hose and cap it, and put one of those filter things on the top of the valvecover?

The PCV system actually aids in ring seal, and reduces emissions, so I'd leave it on - just run a seperator.

What about the other side? My car (97 GT) has some sort of breather from the valve cover into the intake and there is oil in that line too.

Has anyone done anything about the other side?

I have been talkingto my dad about this and told me not to cap it due to it building up pressure. SO I think ill go with the home depot special LOL, was going to order it from steeda, BUT they lost that $60, 100% because they wouldnt answer the phone, so I gave up and was going to call another day(ie today)....but i seen where the above guy spent $15 for his. SO......Thanks for the info, and thanks thread starter for starting this.

Wait until the little element or filter thingy in the separator becomes clogged with oil and it starts letting the oil pass right by again. I know from experience. Eliminate the PVC put filters on the valve covers to let crankcase pressure off. Block the little pipe on the plenum the used to go to the PVC and and the one on the inlet pipe that used to go to the drivers valve cover to prevent unmetered air from getting in and your done. I never see oil anywhere and the car runs strong. I also don't have to worry if oil is causing detenation.

jivepepper said:
Wait until the little element or filter thingy in the separator becomes clogged with oil and it starts letting the oil pass right by again. I know from experience. Eliminate the PVC put filters on the valve covers to let crankcase pressure off. Block the little pipe on the plenum the used to go to the PVC and and the one on the inlet pipe that used to go to the drivers valve cover to prevent unmetered air from getting in and your done. I never see oil anywhere and the car runs strong. I also don't have to worry if oil is causing detenation.

I did this for a week or so but when sitting at a stop with the A/C on the crancase fumes were pulled into the cabin. It was too unbearable.

AdRock said:
I did this for a week or so but when sitting at a stop with the A/C on the crancase fumes were pulled into the cabin. It was too unbearable.

I don't seem have that problem with this engine it only has about 7k on it and the previous one had 116000 and about 17k with the blower it did smell a little but not bad.

I put breathers on and capped the holes in the intake about 2 years ago. They work pretty good but, as someone already noted...you do get fumes coming in through the A/C at times when you are at a stop. The little filters get clogged up fairly regularly too. I just buy replacememnts cause they are only about $3 last time I checked. After seeing companies selling these little seperator kits recently I've pretty much decided that I'm going to plug the system back up and put seperators in for 2 big reasons. 1. to stop the eliminate the burnt petroleum smell at a stop and 2. When I recently got my car registered in TX the inspector gave me a really hard time about the breathers. Said he prolly shouldn't give me my sticker cause I disabled my PCV system but he did it anyway. I figure the seperators will work just fine and take out both of those problems for me.