One of those annoying "How much power should I be making" threads......

GTO Jimmy

Feb 9, 2009
Austin, TX
Ok im no newbie to the car world, obviously just look at my sig. Anyway I just bought an 89 LX on saturday and am clueless as to how much flywheel power I might be making.
And figuring that you guys on here are the guru's of the foxbody world you should be able to pin it down pretty close.
Not a whole lot of mods, just Flowmaster dumps, FRPP Wires, MSD Coil, MSD distributer cap, Electric fans and a 160 degree thermostat (LOL).

So help me out my newly found mustang brothers (and sisters)!!! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing on that list that really gives you power is the fans, and that just frees up a couple of lost HP. I'm sure the air silencer is gone, but you'll get a couple of horses by removing it.

I would change out that 160 thermo for a 195 or 180; a 160 is too cool for most 5.0's.

The mods you listed aren't going to do much, probably not even enough to feel. But you have to start somewhere and you are on your way. If you want the biggest bang for the buck swap the gears for a set of 3.73s and add a small shot of nitrous.

you haven't done any performance mods yet.

the factory dual exhaust is more than plenty flowing for the stock engine. Flowmasters aren't going to help a thing.

As well, the stock ignition is more than fine, even for most modified motors.

the electric fans may give you a couple, but that's it.

start throwing heads, intake and cams at it and you'll start to notice a difference.

Well im picking up a full setup from my buddy, heads/cam/intake/air intake/throttle body/ MAF/ injectors/headers/mid pipes/gears.

This baby is just my daily though im not trying to make a racecar out of her, I got something already for the superfast stuff.:flag:

Anytime someone has to list FRPP Wires, MSD Coil, MSD distributer cap, or a 160 degree thermostat as a mod to there car def shows they have very little mods ha. But yeah as others have said, those mods have hardly if any put out much for then 5-10 hp. And you can't even feel such a small amount like that. Throw a top end kit or a blower on there and get it tuned. Then you don't have to guess, bc you'll know how much hp its making.

man you've got one sick little gto in your sig!! Props

Thanks! Yeah thats why I hated typing out this thread, I knew exactly how much it was gunna make me sound like one of those noobs LOL. The guys who think every part they ever put on their car added ATLEAST what the box said! :rlaugh:

I was just curious as to if any of the mods the previous owner made were worth a hill of beans.:nice:

Ok im no newbie to the car world, obviously just look at my sig. Anyway I just bought an 89 LX on saturday and am clueless as to how much flywheel power I might be making.
And figuring that you guys on here are the guru's of the foxbody world you should be able to pin it down pretty close.
Not a whole lot of mods, just Flowmaster dumps, FRPP Wires, MSD Coil, MSD distributer cap, Electric fans and a 160 degree thermostat (LOL).

So help me out my newly found mustang brothers (and sisters)!!! :nice:

I do not mean this as a joke and I am not belittling you.

You could probably increase your quarter time more by going on a diet and losing 10 lbs.

That being said, you can do some other weight saving measures like rip out some sound proofing, losing the spare tire, et cetera to gain a 10th or so.