One piece oil pan gasket

• Sponsors (?)

Buy the felpro one if you are doing an in car install. The felpro gasket comes with these little clips that helps keep the gasket in place while you put the pan on. The Ford Motorsport gasket doesn't and it makes it a major pain in the butt.

The FelPro 1 piece is nice, I used it for an in-car oil pan swap. I couldn't get the provided plastic studs to work for me though due to the angle I had to maneuver the pan to get the pickup to clear the baffle (canton road race pan). A little of "The Right Stuff" sealer in the corners and you are good to go :nice:

If you have an older style oil pan, the Fel-pro 1 piece gaskets won't work. The Felpro piece is made for the flat flanged oil pan used on 5.0 motors, whereas the older oil pans have ridges in the flange to prevent the cork from squeezing out. I wasn't aware of this either, and my 1-piece gasket leaks like crazy. This was confirmed by many others on the VMF.

I use 1 piece gaskets on all my SBFs...
Old and new.
I haven't had an issue.:shrug:

Edit:

I was wondering why the previous poster was having an issue, or where he heard the gaskets wouldn't work...

I forgot to say how much I LOVE the 1 piece gaskets!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/s...729/hl/"oil+pan+gasket"/fromsearch/1/#1283729

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/s...658/hl/"oil+pan+gasket"/fromsearch/1/#1262658

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/s...190/hl/"oil+pan+gasket"/fromsearch/1/#1202190

Just a few discussions. I don't know the exact reason behind it, other than a radius difference in the corners and the ribbing in the pan. I failed to believe this and bought the late model style and it leaks everywhere. The one in question is the Permadry one-piece offered by autozone.

From another discussion:

"A word of caution on this. You really shouldn't use a one piece gasket on our old oil pans. The newer model pans that the one piece is designed for have a flat pan rail and large radii into the end seal areas. The older pans have a sharp radius there and the pan rail is ribbed to help secure the cork gasket. This will lead to splitting the seal and oil seeping under the ribbing. I suggest you search for a year specific gasket that is designed for the older pans, or continue to use the cork-n-rubber unit. I use gasket shellac to hold the cork in place and a dab of silicone in the corners where it meets the rubber end seal. Install it dry,no other sealer or silicone is required. Never had a leaker yet, 15 years later. I see more problems with guys who use an entire tube of RTV on their gaskets than anything else."

I've never heard of that brand either.

I don't really care what issues AZ brand gaskets have.
I use Felpro and FMS in my engines and have not had any such issue.

I KNOW my 72 302 has the FMS one pc in it.

I have used the Felpro also, from Summit, but IIRC it was in an 89 roller block.
I believe my 90 block had the same FMS as the 72.

The Permadry is made by Fel-Pro and is made so you don't have to use any kind of sealant/RTV. They are a rubber composite with a steel core. I have been SUPER happy with the Permadry valve cover gaskets.

Ok, so now they make one specific to the early year cars. At the time when i bought mine (year or so ago), they were labeled to fit all year 351w motors. Mine is part number OS30616R, and it doesn't work. They now make one specifically for the older pans as OS30214T. Same principle but different part number applies for those with 289/302. Sorry for the confusion.

Also helps to use the 80's pan rail stiffeners with the one piece. You can find these on mid 80's on up to 97's 5.0's Steal the bolts to go with em too.

they were also used on some early engine as well. the 73 351w in my car now came with the pan rail stiffeners on it, my great grandmother buoght the car new and it had never had any major work done on it, just oil changes and tune-ups.